Bubbles.

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Haydo

Bubbles.

Post by Haydo »

I'll try not to say a thing.
EX.
EX.
Small bubble.
Small bubble.
2012 glass 043.JPG (53.64 KiB) Viewed 19692 times
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Brock

Re: Bubbles.

Post by Brock »

Hey Haydo, keep on talking. As you said, it's not your problem if people don't get you.
Nobody seemed to complain about the great Brian Blanthorn . . .
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Haydo, I'm not sure if you like or dislike but both those pieces are great.
Bob
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

nothing that you have said has ever bothered me. nice work. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

love them both.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Have been having trouble posting with repeated requests to redo password. I was going to say more but by midnight last night I was over it. Glad you like the bubbles. I remember there was an artist who took bubbles in slabs to the extreme. His name escapes me and google has been unsuccessful when searching. I would like to achieve the same level of control and understanding. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I think Carl Powell has done work with encased bubbles but can't see any examples on his site. Jen
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thank you Jen, I'll give it another go. peace, haydo
carol carson

Post by carol carson »

Haydo,
Check out Shelia Labatt's work with bubbles.
http://www.sheilalabatt.com/sheila-laba ... batt-glass

I like what you're doing.
Cynthia O

Post by Cynthia O »

Wow. I'm liking the Sheila Lebatt work.

Haydo...Maybe Tom Patti? I saw some work of his several years ago at the Tacoma Glass Museum and it was all about that big bubble and how it optically distorted the horizon lines in the blocks. He's doing all sorts of stuff...but that bubble thing is in his bag of tricks too.
http://tompatti.com
http://cynthiaoliver.blogspot.com/

"A happy childhood has spoiled many a promising life."
Robertson Davies
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Especially like the second one..great juxtaposition.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Must be a security threat, I keep getting password requests at each time I attempt to submit a thank you. peace, haydo
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Trying again. Carol and Cynthia. Thank you for links to those extraordinary people, couldn't find the piece that I had in memory but confirmation that the process of learning this will be interesting. peace. haydo
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

still tweaking
still tweaking

Thinking that apart from using these in totems and other creative theatrics I was thinking along the lines of the possibility that maybe with a bit of refining and more thought behind design these could become novel scent dipping bottles.I raised the question at our regional gallery, where printmaking is very strong, the response was that maybe I would be better to have them as paper wieghts. Am I missing something here?
Scent dipping bottle paper wieght maybe, haven't seen many of them around. as always, peace, haydo
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I think they're too intriguing and have too much potential to be simply regarded as paperweights.
I love your first example, and am guessing the second photo is an attempt that didn't work out.
It's the grouping that grabs me; I can see them displayed together, in their various stages of evolution, like specimens.
Havi

Post by Havi »

I consider air bubbles a very nice and interesting part of a design in glass. It seems to me to enhance the 'glassiness' of glass.
I have been working on air bubbles for more than 3 years trying to create many effects with them. Also, make air bubbles inside colored glass.
I made glass sculptures kind of cast - fused pieces. Between 2 to 2.5 " thick, So that the bubbles will really show. I wanted to show that what might be cosidered 'bad', can actually be exciting and supporting of the design.

Now I am into something else, still experimenting.

Havi
Last edited by Havi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Haydo wrote:
perfume bottles maybe 002 (2) (640x206).jpg

Thinking that apart from using these in totems and other creative theatrics I was thinking along the lines of the possibility that maybe with a bit of refining and more thought behind design these could become novel scent dipping bottles.I raised the question at our regional gallery, where printmaking is very strong, the response was that maybe I would be better to have them as paper wieghts. Am I missing something here?
Scent dipping bottle paper wieght maybe, haven't seen many of them around. as always, peace, haydo
The problem I'd see with using them as scent dipping bottles would be that scent evaporates unless tightly closed so a stopper would be required, and one would need at least a half a cup of scent to have enough to dip into. What would that cost unless of the cheap and nasty variety? Old Spice maybe. :P

I like the totem proposal best. Jen
Peter Angel

Post by Peter Angel »

I think they would make excellent paper weights, as long as they're not too heavy.
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.