Richard La Londe Rattle Workshop

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

pshash

Richard La Londe Rattle Workshop

Post by pshash »

https://picasaweb.google.com/roobagel/R ... 8jljfe0_AE#

Well, I learned alot about power tools in this intensive four day class. I learned how to use a jig saw, band saw, drill press (scary), and belt sander.

My piece is the kingfisher and I still have to make a beaded belt and am not sure whether I will give him a glass eye. The front of the glass is a kingfisher with feathers and crabs around the rim on the front and a salmon and banana slugs on the back of the piece. I wanted the pice to resemble NW tribal art and things I remeber about the Pacific NW. Our class was very informal and I loved how everyone pieces turned out in the class. I convinced my boyfriend, an engineer with no glass experience, to join me. His piece is the great horned owl who now has dichroic beaks on either side and quite lovely large glass eyes. I do hope they make it to Florida in one piece. I hope to submit more pics once they are finished.

I have to give a huge Thank You to Richard. He was so helpful to all of us! I can't wait to do his next workshop.
Last edited by pshash on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn g

Re: Richard La Londe Rattle Workshop

Post by Lynn g »

Wish I could go to one of those. I think there are sufficient instructions in his book, but how much better it would be to do one in a class! One of these days...
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

The rattles are so interesting. I didn't notice on the first go-round that there was a second page in the link. I could see the outlines of the pieces more clearly in that one. Are the support pieces steel? If so, did you cut out those too and texture them? Nice work.
Vonon
pshash

Post by pshash »

Yes, the base is steel which we cut with this old as in 1960s horizontal band saw. Then we painted them black and put the screw in the base. We had to make each part of the rattle incl cutting the aluminum. Like I said, this is a first for me with all the tools. I thought all of them turned out beautiful and it was interesting we all applied the Pacific NW to our glass.

Thank you for the kind remarks.

P.S. If you click full screen you can scroll to each piece and see a better view of the glass part of the rattle.