new work - the hand

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Paul Tarlow

new work - the hand

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Something new from the kiln. Though small (10" x 7") this piece is somewhat of a big deal for me -- this is the first piece I've done where the technique and style is something that I enjoy enough (both creating and looking at) to start building that ever elusive "cohesive body of work" :)

- Paul
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Good Job Paul,
I like the look, and I can see the fun you would have working with this technique. Enjoy the journey...........Claudia
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

Paul,

I like it a lot. I can see I am going to have to make the drive from Dallas to Austin to take your powder classes.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Paul: very COOL!!!!
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
scooter riegelsperger

Post by scooter riegelsperger »

TOO KEWL, Paul. Looks like you spent some time in the sandblaster.
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Paul:
The style is unique...have fun with it. Looks like something that could develop in many ways, too. I especially like the directional movement in the background.
Nikki
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

scooterr309--where in Houston are you? I'm on Lake Conroe.
Deb
scooter riegelsperger

Post by scooter riegelsperger »

Daffodil Deb,
My shop is in SW Houston, but I live in Richmond. Y'all come on by anytime & set fer a spell.
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Paul, I've looked at this piece several times since you posted it. You're right it's wonderful to look at. The colors in the background and the shapes made by where the colors aren't are super. The hand keeps doing different things. That may sound strange, but hopefully not. Sometimes it says 'Hey!' and sometimes to my eyes it's reaching to touch the background. Lovely piece.
Bert Weiss

Re: new work - the hand

Post by Bert Weiss »

Paul Tarlow wrote:Something new from the kiln. Though small (10" x 7") this piece is somewhat of a big deal for me -- this is the first piece I've done where the technique and style is something that I enjoy enough (both creating and looking at) to start building that ever elusive "cohesive body of work" - Paul
Paul

Isn't it a rush when you begin to see yourself coming through the work. Keep it up.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Can you talk a little bit about your technique? I know sandblasting has been mentioned, but I'm stumped about the rest.

One way or t'other, it is an evocative piece. Would love to see more!
Deb
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

daffodildeb wrote:Can you talk a little bit about your technique? I know sandblasting has been mentioned, but I'm stumped about the rest.

One way or t'other, it is an evocative piece. Would love to see more!
The "generic" process is:

1) Apply a thin layer of color to a sheet of glass. This is typically mica, glass powders, or enamels. Thinking about it, it could even be a devitrification if you could persuade it to appear the way you want it to.

2) Mask (cover) the areas where you want the color to remain. There are many "resists" people use for masking -- ranging from materials that are like rubber contact paper intended for this purpose to tape and objects glued to the glass surface. The key here is that the resist must be able to stand up to the blasting.

3) blast away the thin color layer that is not protected by the resist

4) (optionally) refire the piece to restore the smooth shine to the blasted area

Once you start looking at the variables you quickly realize that the palette of possibilities is genuinely endless.

- Paul
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Thanks for the explanation. Makes it even more enjoyable to view!
Deb
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Paul' s new work

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

Paul,

I've liked all your work I've been privileged to see. The icing on the
cake is this bold new departure. Love it. You go, guy!!

Nita
GatorGirl

Post by GatorGirl »

I am inexperienced with mica powders but I´ve read that they do not show up well on a clear or light background. Are these colors just frit powders? They are truely vibrant! Did you use an airbrush to apply and blend the colors somewhat? I love the work! It is inspirational!
Thanks,
Kim
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

GatorGirl wrote:I am inexperienced with mica powders but I´ve read that they do not show up well on a clear or light background. Are these colors just frit powders? They are truely vibrant! Did you use an airbrush to apply and blend the colors somewhat? I love the work! It is inspirational!
Thanks,
Kim
Thanks Kim.

The vibrant colors are Thompson Enamels. There are many ways to apply (including with an airbrush) -- for this piece they were sifted onto the glass.

You are correct that micas do not show up well on clear glass -- though you can create some nice -- but subtle -- effects.

- Paul
Last edited by Paul Tarlow on Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GatorGirl

Post by GatorGirl »

Thanks for the information Paul. I´m going to have to give it a try one of these days because the result is just beautiful!