Miniature landscapes

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Studiodunn

Miniature landscapes

Post by Studiodunn »

I have been exploring David Alcala's glass tapestry technique, and attempting to make miniature landscapes. Having a lot of fun with it! I just thought I would share a couple from a batch that just came out of the kiln. There really is a lot of depth that is more apparent in person than in the pictures. I have a local art show that I am doing for the first time tomorrow...For these, I labored over putting the decals on or not. I wonder if the cabochons would have "stood alone" without them, or if the decals enhance the end result?? Opinions welcome...Thank you!
Attachments
Mini-landscapes in glass.JPG
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
Michele gh

Re: Miniature landscapes

Post by Michele gh »

The cabochons are beautiful. The colors, the compositions and the depth are all quite successful. They would have "stood alone" without the decals. In my opinion, the decals do not enhance the end result.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The cabs are beautiful. I think they could have stood alone, but I'm attracted to the contrast of the line art superimposed onto the very realistic seascape.

Well done

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I think what's jarring for me is the very stylized, hard black lines against the softer, naturalistic landscape. They don't fit each other.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Very lovely and beautiful. I might suggest a softer and smaller flying wonder!!!!!! The landscapes are so special all by themselves . BUT I am sure you will get incredible feed back at the show. Listen to all and take the constructive discussion, tuck it away and work on it for your next show tooooooo! Lovely cabs for sure. Leslie
Give out Free Hugs!
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

I do appreciate the feedback and insights shared...Incidentally, they ended up being some of the first ones that sold at the show today. I probably should have had them priced higher...lol Will keep up with the experimentation!
- Martin Luther King
Dairy Queen

Post by Dairy Queen »

The insects are what will make this piece sell, if that is your intention. If your goal was to make a stand alone piece of art, you are complete without the insects. Sell, or art? That is the question.
Love and luck make a wonderful lifestyle.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I agree with those who said the decals detract, rather than add, to the design. I am not a decal fan -- to me, it's "cheating" unless you are drawing & creating your own (I have used 22K decals on jewelry a time or two, so I've done some cheating on my own).

Fortunately, or unfortunately (depends upon how you look at it :mrgreen: ), butterflies and dragonflies are some of the first things to sell at certain venues.

Dana W.
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

The insects are what will make this piece sell, if that is your intention. If your goal was to make a stand alone piece of art, you are complete without the insects. Sell, or art? That is the question.
I'm totally cool with the fact that they SOLD...Thank you AAE Glass! I aspire in earnest to make "art" (as I learn what that definition really means). I may not quite be there yet but this will suffice. I need to finance my trip to Portland in June...LOL
- Martin Luther King
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Are you going to BECON. I am truly hoping to make it tooo! Hopefully we can meet . We have our own GAAC conference here in Calgary , Alberta, Canada and I am trying to plan now to do both. (and perhaps if lucky a residency tooo! Dreams do come true if you work at them :-k [-o< .) Les
Give out Free Hugs!
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

Yes Leslie! The plan right now is that I will attend along with Anne Nye. Super stoked! It would be lovely to meet you :)
- Martin Luther King