Glilt Trip

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Bob

Glilt Trip

Post by Bob »

Not it is not a typo... I meant Glilt Trip.

Last summer Gallery 8 on Salt Spring Island had a group show titled "Two Wings". The premise behind the show was that many of the gallery artists have partners who are also creative and wouldn't it be interesting to have each couple collaborate on a piece. Well Liesbeth is a very talented quilter and we decided to make a piece incorporating fabric and glass. The challenge was to make a balanced piece where the two mediums support each other. We didn't want a traditional quilt with glass tiles added to it. Nor did we want a glass piece with a fabric accent. So, with both of us well outside of our comfort zone, we went to the drawing board. After lots of sketches and models we came up with "Little Fish, Big Pond" a 1 meter by 1 meter wall piece with the fabric forming an flowing pattern and a series of glass fish prints forming a sweep across the lower part of the piece. Each grouping of fish has been slumped and the glass panels are mounted out from the fabric.

We affectionately call the combination a Glilt (glass and quilt) which sounds much better than a "Quass". And it was a lovely trip.

there is also a detail shot of the fish.

Cheers,

Bob

KarunaS

Re: Glilt Trip

Post by KarunaS »

Love it!!
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

What a beautiful collaboration!
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

Truly wonderful!
Faye Malench

Post by Faye Malench »

Love the concept and the work. Really lovely.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Man, how outstanding is that. So glad you both pushed it. Makes you really think about things. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Don't you love it when a collaboration yields a result bigger than the sum of it's parts!
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Mary Lou

Post by Mary Lou »

Absolutely beautiful. I sure would like to see this in person. Guess you have to come up with another workshop. When I look at this piece and read your narrative, it is so easy to imagine the two of you working together on such a wonderful collaboration in your serene and peaceful workspace on Salt Spring Island. Hope we see more.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Wonderful and inspiring work from you both
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Bob,

This is truly lovely. What a great project for you both! Very beautiful.

Congratulations!
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Stunning Bob and Liesbeth, I am always soooo excited to open your posts Bob and see what amazing work you come up with. =D> It is simply beautiful. The fabric looks exactly like your glass would and vice versa. I could not tell which was which until I really studied it , and boy , I think you both should continue with the amazingly wonderful journey. AND love the name .
Leslie
Give out Free Hugs!
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Beautiful!

I love quilts. Your partner does splendid work!

Dana
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks for the comments everyone.

It was an enjoyable collaboration. We weren't sure how marketable the piece would be so we designed it with a particular wall in our house in mind. As we neared completion we both started liking the outcome more and more. So we decided to up the price of the piece in the hopes that it wouldn't sell. It sold in 12 hours. I wish all my pieces went that quickly. I joked with Liesbeth that for almost 20 years I have made pieces that sometimes sell quickly, but mostly take time to sell. And then there are the ones that end up in my own "private collection". Her first piece sold overnight at a good price..... what is she going to do next.

We are planning some other collaborations. We'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Bob
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I can't wait to see what the two of you do next!

Bob, you never cease to inspire with the creative boundaries you push; I'm in awe of your work and your dedication to continuous growth.
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

=D> We need a like button; Very Nice love the colors just beautiful.
It's not the destination but the journey that feeds the soul.
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Bob, it's such a beautifully rich and quiet piece! The texture and design seem to exude good feelings about home and craft and life. No wonder it sold so quickly. Congratulations to Liesbeth on this new venture. Hope you tow do more together.
Hugs,

Nikki
Janet McFadyen

Post by Janet McFadyen »

beautiful piece... I was happily surprised when I saw the detail photo ... and saw that the fish were on small panels ... then checked back to the whole image and saw how the panels made the stream ....the whole piece works so well together well done Liesbeth and Bob.
facebook artist page @ Janet McFadyen's Glass
Havi

Post by Havi »

Very interesting experiment,

beautiful results =D> =D>

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

So glad that this worked out. It was interesting to hear about the thought process as you were going into the work. I think the end result is excellent, a good balance of the two techniques. I hope you'll collaborate more!
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson