Light Reading

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Bob

Light Reading

Post by Bob »

A wonderful new library recently opened where we live on Salt Spring Island and there was a call for art work to occupy walls and display areas. I didn't enter the competition but I thought quite a bit about what I would have done. I initially thought of making bookends but the idea kept morphing. Eventually it got around to the books themselves and I started playing with stacks of books that would be found on a night table or beside a favourite reading chair. Rather than books stored on a shelf I wanted the casual and spontaneous feeling of someone actively using the books. So I grabbed some books and began the modeling exercise by stacking and rearranging the stack. The challenge was to get the right "spontaneous" arrangement but getting a good composition. Had to let the obsessive side of my mind relax a bit.

So here are two images. The first is the a version of the model and the second is the stack of glass books. Sorry the glass image was taken in a gallery and the lighting isn't great The glass books are all the size of the original books. The pages were made by fusing stacks of tints or combining clear glass with tints or transparent glass. The covers are iridized transparent glass with a layer of thin white to stop the colour of the cover from bleeding into the pages. When the light shines through the books they have a lovely soft glow.

This is the first piece in the last 15 years that does not have one grain of glass powder in it. Way outside of my comfort zone.

The title: Light Reading

sbaddley

Re: Light Reading

Post by sbaddley »

You should get out of your comfort zone more often. This is terrific.
Scott B
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

=D> =D> =D> Everything you do is inspiring and unique!! love it Bob. (P.S. did you read The Last Kingdom and did you like it OR did you like the Meditation for Women Who Like to Knit :roll: :lol: :D ) Les
Give out Free Hugs!
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Dammit Bob! Every time you post one of these amazing 'new directions' I kick myself for not experimenting more, pushing myself harder, or just living in my studio until something great comes out of it.

Bravo; you've done it again!
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

A fantastic homage to Ron Coleman's earlier box work but at the same time a much different take on things. =D>
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Bob, I have to agree with Valerie..you make it so obvious how far I have to go....beautiful piece
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Havi

Post by Havi »

I like this VERY much.

As a 30 years librarian , this idea is very much to my liking.
And the performance is even greater,
Wonderful piece.... pieces.

Havi

Colin Reid, cast several books, in a different way, perhaps you might be interested.
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Kathy K

Post by Kathy K »

So fantastic!! Love the stack and looks like you could just pick one up to read!! Two of my favorite things together--glass and books :D
tbach

Post by tbach »

Just amazing. There seems to be no bounds to your creative talent. And with all that, you're just a regular guy!

Sitting here, I allowed myself to go back to your studio on Salt Spring Island for just a minute, and all the stresses of the day are gone!

Best to you and Lisbeth

Ted Bach
Hillsboro, OR
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks everyone,

Sorry Les, didn't read any of them. They were just chosen for size and shape. I did judge the book just by the size and thickness. My recent readings have been Infidels by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Einstein: His Life and Universe and Steven Jobs both by Walter Isaacson, and a bunch of thrillers by Jo Nesbo. I listen to audiobooks in the studio. I guess I had reached my limit of listening to Pink Floyd (at least for a while).

Kevin, interesting that you mention Ron. I wish he still was involved with glass and this discussion group. An amazingly creative mind. I still think of those boxes. I saw one at the first warm glass weekend and it was even more spectacular in person.

Valerie Jim and Ted, much of this work comes from being fortunate enough to live in a very creative community (Salt Spring). I belong to an informal group called Art Night that has lively discussions and new work can be critiqued in a nurturing and encouraging environment. Ted's comment about the stresses of the day apply to the Island as well as our studio.

Havi, I have seen images of Colin Reid's books when I did an internet search. Beautiful piece. I was surprised more images of stacked books didn't show up. Have you seen the sculptures made from books. Wow.

Books. Gotta love them.

Cheers,

Bob
Janet McFadyen

Post by Janet McFadyen »

beautiful Bob.. really great. Are they going to the SS Library ?
facebook artist page @ Janet McFadyen's Glass
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Janet,
No they aren't. I did not submit a proposal. The selected entries were absolutely amazing. Paintings 9x5 feet, crows stealing eye glasses beside books mounted on the walls, bronze letter with rabbit crawling through a hole in the letter. All amazing works that involved much of the community.

Cheers,
Bob
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Bob I can't believe they wouldn't find a quiet place for this stack of books. They have a lovely spirit, and would be a special surprise when visitors come upon them. that is, of course, if you would possible want to let them go.
I was looking at images of Ron's boxes yesterday. I miss his creative presence here.

Nikki
seachange

Post by seachange »

This is so very nice. Simple, elegant...just wonderful.

There is something warm about it, and something happy, and something relaxing. And the color choice is beautiful.

Best wishes, seachange
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

Just wonderful - I'm a librarian,too. Your work is so inspiring; one of these days I'm going to make it across the country and take one of your classes. Thanks so much for your inspiration.

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
Mary Lou

Post by Mary Lou »

Wow, another great accomplishment. The way you continue to experiment and move on to new processes is inspiring.
la suisse

Post by la suisse »

Love it very much!