redo of wet belt sander

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Dick

redo of wet belt sander

Post by Dick »

wbs old 1.jpg
wbs new 3.jpg
wbs new 1.jpg
So, since I value my wet belt so much, I decided to clean her up. 10 years old and while the bearings, motor and wheels are fine, the bin was rusting up pretty good. No matter how much you rinse it off, the glass crud builds up. I took it apart, had it sandblasted, zinc coated, powder coated and a clear coat on top With that I will be able to use a small pressure washer and brush to keep it cleaner. While I was at it i replaced all the hardware with stainless steel to avoid any future problem. With a total investment of under $300 I think it is money well spent. Besides, she makes a statement now!

Dick
bob proulx

Re: redo of wet belt sander

Post by bob proulx »

Good job, that was well worth $300.00 and yes it does make a statement, love the color. I have work to do to mine, was it hard to take it all apart.
Bob
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Now that's one super jazzy WBS! Ditto the color.

DOLORES
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Dick,

nice job, crazy color.

What's up with the double row of rollers. Is that something you made or had made? Looks interesting.
Rick Wilton
Dick

Post by Dick »

Thanks all. For the most part it was not too hard to take apart. I photo recorded the whole thing and labeled parts as I could. Some allen screws on the wheels had to be heated to break loose, and a gear puller to pull the wheels off. Even with that, there were two that would not come apart. On those, I cleaned them myself, masked them off and spray painted them. A couple of spots are tricky. The handle to tighten the belt has a drive pin that needs driven out. The top tensioner was the hardest to get out as it had a lot of glass crud on it. It went back together easier especially with new hardware. As to the wheels, the unit came with just one row. It always seemed to me to be lacking if you want an easy way to lay glass flat and get an even edge. I bought a second bar and had them welded together. Works great.

Dick
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Thanks for answering my question, That will help in the spring when I start working on my machine.
Bob