Spoon Rests

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Mike Jordan

Spoon Rests

Post by Mike Jordan »

Here are a few of the things I've been working on recently, spoon rests. I did the round ones first and then used the same slumping mold to do the square ones. I'd done the paw print tiles a while back and decided to try slumping a couple of them in the same slumping mold. They can be used for spoon rests, change holders, tea bag rests, etc.

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Valerie Adams

Re: Spoon Rests

Post by Valerie Adams »

I really like the paws!
la suisse

Post by la suisse »

Me too, the paws ... :wink:
Drewcilla

Post by Drewcilla »

Paws are adorable.
Judd

Post by Judd »

Paws!!! Make lots of those. They'll be your cash-cow.
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

Thanks, everyone. Back when I originally did the tiles I did do a bunch of them. I had thought of using them for coasters but a glass sitting on top slid around to much. I had thought of doing a curve of some kind but didn't have a mold at the time and I was using my thicker fiber paper for other things, so I put them away. I'd forgotten about them until I was looking for something else and found them so decided to give it a try. As a tile or a spoon rest, the red and black is my favorite ones and I have some more of those. I've got another spoon rest mold on order, it's a round shaped one with out the arm that comes out. I'll use the other tiles I have on that mold. I also made a couple of molds out of clay but I didn't get the bottom very smooth. It seemed smoother when the clay was still soft but not so much after it's dried. :D I'm thinking of just cutting the bottom out of it and have it like an open ring, which will make it easier to get a smooth bottom. I plan on making some more and then will give the best one to my mom for Mother's Day. No telling what she will do with it though. I gave her a big bird bath a couple of years ago and it's been sitting as a center piece on the dresser of the spare bedroom since. :D

Anyway, thanks again for the comments and I think paws down it was the paws that got the vote. :D

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Come up with a name for them and trademark and copyright it quickly.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Marty, are you being a cock? Mike,to me you may need to keep pushing because I reckon you'll do your head in if these take off. I've only got time now for experimental work catering towards pendants reflecting my region of the Whitsundays. What I've found is that something that really got me buzzing one week becomes stale the next. I only say this because you've been around glass for some time. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Is that Aussie for "dick"?
Haydo- one has to finance one's habit somehow. When one finds a technique or look or product that's unique and clever and easy like those Paws I say go for it. Ride it out and then move on. You may have the luxury of navel-contemplation and waiting until the stars are in conjunction but others don't.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Marty, copyright and trademark comment is is what the cock-ness is about. No luxury here mate, all slog in my corner. peace, haydo

PS- and I don't think they would be easy. Look at how much work is involved.
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

It's a shame that the shape has to be cut out. Lots of time there! Or you could get the basic paw jet-cut I suppose. What are you doing now?
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

I would love to have something I could call my own, but there are way to many paw themes out there that I wouldn't even try. Besides, I'll bet you there are at least 8 people that saw these that already have their kiln full of them. :D Thanks though. I do appreciate the comments.

Cheryl, yes, they do take a bit of work. I cut out the paw shape and the pads with my Taurus ring saw. I could probably do the pads with a glass cutter but they look better cut out. Having a bunch cut out with water jet would probably be the best way to go, although I don't know what the cost of doing that would be. I've always wanted to have a few things cut out of glass by water jet and there is someone local to me that has a water jet shop, but I have no idea what the cost would be. Usually things like that cost more for the initial setup than the actual work does.

I just got in the other mold I wanted to try so I'm going to do a couple of more with that one to see how it looks with that one. Thanks for all the comments.

Mike
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

Here are two more Rests I did with a new mold I received yesterday. I like how it puts the lip on the tile. I have two more paw tiles left and then I'll either have to make some more or come up with something new. If I was to make some more of these I think I'd check to see what the cost would be to have a couple of sheets of glass cut out by water jet. There are several in the area and one in Hillsboro where I live that has done work for other glass people. I'll have to see how much the set up and cutting fee is. On guy I read about says he stacks and cuts 3 sheets at a time. I can see that would be a quicker way to do different colors too. It's a thought anyway.

Mike
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

From what I know about having things jet-cut (which is from others) it's all about volume. Ask them how they need the file (jpg, tiff, etc.) and have them maximize the space - fill it with paw prints!!! Have them do as many sheets at once as you can afford. One question I would ask others on this board is whether devit is an issue - and if so, I would use colors that are less fussy (which leaves out white and marigold for example). You will have to clean the glass afterwards, just not sure whether you'll need to spray.

As the mother of 3 cats and one dog, I am constantly amazed at the market for pet stuff. Yes, they are my children. Yes, I dress my dog. And yes, I wish the paw prints had been my idea :) I periodically do cat stuff but have always thought about what to make for the pet, as opposed to the pet owner. Duh!
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Barb R

Post by Barb R »

The paws are really cute Mike - I'm sure you'll sell a lot of them! I have to say that for whatever reason, I like the more rounded paws up above than the ones below - but I'm sure the ones below would hold a spoon better. Cute, cute, cute.

Barb
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

Cheryl, I agree with you about the amazement of what people will buy for their pets. :D The first thing I bought my wife before we were married was a fridge magnet that said "Sleep with me, sleep with my dog". I won't elaborate on all of the dog things (mostly for the breed we have, Bouvier des Flandres) that we have collected over the years. It was the desire to do "dog things" that got me into glass. Little did I know what I was getting into... come to think of it, it was the same with the fridge mag I bought. :D My paw in a heart were well liked by dog people as well and I've been meaning to do more of those.

Thanks, Barb, although I'm not really selling them. These are for gifts. If I tried to sell them, then I really would have to have the blanks cut out by water jet and then fuse them and slump them. I may do a set to donate to the auction our national club has each year at the specialty to raise money. I'm always trying to think of things to create that I can donate, but I usually run out of time before I've come up with anything. Now I have a good idea and 6 months to do it in... now if I just don't procrastinate to long. :D

Mike
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Mike.
I would suggest that you do give John a try. He is really good with glass
I would suggest that you go to his shop on NE Lincoln instead of phone or email as he doesn't respond to either to well.
Maybe because he is to busy.
Good guy and fair pricing.
He also stacks and cuts.
Jim

Mike Jordan wrote:Here are two more Rests I did with a new mold I received yesterday. I like how it puts the lip on the tile. I have two more paw tiles left and then I'll either have to make some more or come up with something new. If I was to make some more of these I think I'd check to see what the cost would be to have a couple of sheets of glass cut out by water jet. There are several in the area and one in Hillsboro where I live that has done work for other glass people. I'll have to see how much the set up and cutting fee is. On guy I read about says he stacks and cuts 3 sheets at a time. I can see that would be a quicker way to do different colors too. It's a thought anyway.

Mike
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

jim simmons wrote:Mike.
I would suggest that you go to his shop on NE Lincoln instead of phone or email as he doesn't respond to either to well.
He also stacks and cuts.
Jim

Mike
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation, Jim. I like going to someone that is recommended. The first chance I have to stop in his shop I'll do that. I've sort of put together a template based on Bullseye's 35x20 sized sheets so I'll have something to show him. I can get about 18 paws per sheet which will give me 54 if I can do 3 stacked sheets at a time and don't count pads. Or take away enough paws to leave room for the corresponding number of pads I'd need to fuse to the paws. Once I talk to him I'll have a better idea of how many sheets I can stack (if any) and how much room I need to leave between each cutout, etc. If I do this, there are some other shapes I've been wanting to cut out so this would be a good time to do that as well if it can all be set up at the same time. The major cost will be the glass and Bullseye doesn't have their next half price sale until July. I knew I should have gone to the one in Feb. I'll have to put together the other shapes I want and have him give me the price for all of it at the same time.

Thanks, Jim.

Mike
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

These are pretty out of glass, I have one thats just like this made out of ceramic. There is an artist on etsy who makes these too.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Mike.
I have had him stack 3 sheets high.
Just be sure to cut off the curly edges so the glass is flat together.
Good luck
I am working with him for the possibility of having Patty Gray teach a 5 day class at his studio.
Jim
Mike Jordan wrote:
jim simmons wrote:Mike.
He also stacks and cuts.
Jim

Mike