Still Playing with Copper

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Judy Schnabel

Still Playing with Copper

Post by Judy Schnabel »

My latest trial with copper.

Check it out and tell me what you think.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... &members=1

This was done with the 2 mil copper from Nimrod Hall.

Judy
bkrgrl@aol.com

Post by bkrgrl@aol.com »

Judy, I like your copper experiments-have jusy ordered my kiln and am waiting the arrival-I am a newbie. So, please tell me, what is Pearl Ex? thanks bkrgrl@aol.com
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Pearl Ex micas are powders you can purchase at Michael's. There are 12 small bottles of different colors in the box. They can be applied dry or mixed with a tiny bit of alcohol and fuser's glue.

A couple of the bowls I did were accented with Pearl Ex powders. As I recall, I just used a sifter to apply them. Look for a coupon in the Sunday paper and get 40% off at Michael's -- assuming you have one near you.

Judy
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Great work. do you know why the copper in your plate and heron did not turn black but the other one did? They look like they have similar size borders, were they fired differently. Carolyn
glassart

bottles and designs

Post by glassart »

Judy-
Just saw your new copper items. They are beautiful. I received a kiln for Christmas and am still in the "beginning" stages. Fired my first bottle and it did come out very smooth, etc. I love your wine bottles that you do. How do you get those designs i.e. lighthouse, etc. onto the wine bottle? I have a few custom designs that I would like to try myself but unsure how to proceed. Thanks. :idea:
Teresa
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Hi Carolyn,

I did use the 2 mil copper this time and sprayed it with the Borax solution.

I have a bowl which I'll be taking out of the kiln this morning which is also done with the 2 mil copper. On this particular bowl I took Tom in Texas' advice and put Unique's clear glaze on it. It took on a whole new look. The copper is almost pinkish looking. I'll post it later.

It's fun working with copper and float.

Judy
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Hi Theresa,

The pictures (lighthouses, etc.) are decopauged to the back of the bottles. The chart platter with Charlotte Harbor on it is my most popular item. Many people poo poo the firing of bottles but they are my bread and butter. They pay for my glass addiction. When the glass is free and people love your product, it seems to be a no brainer.

When I do shows, which are getting to be fewer and fewer, I always take my beautiful bowls, disks, etc. but the real money maker is the bottles.

You'll also learn a lot about glass by firing bottles and it won't cost you a bundle in glass. When you screw up you just toss it in the recycling bin.

Good luck with your new kiln.

Judy
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Judy:
Great work! I have yet to use copper - but loved the heron. Did you cut him out of sheet of copper? Probably stupid question. But just trying to visualize how you got his shape.

As for the mica's at Michaels (say that 3 times real fast), what temperature do you have to fire those at to mature?

Where in SW Florida are you? I am south of Tampa.

Kim
glassart

Post by glassart »

Thanks Judy! :lol:
I'm really looking forward to working more with my kiln. I'm a stay at home mom (although I try to pick up consulting/contract jobs a couple times a year to help with the home income). I have been doing stained glass for 10+ yrs. now and am ready to make the next move.

One question on the decopauge.... does it come off when washed? What a great idea you have and your items are beautiful. I live up here in the Florida Panhandle and have repeat customers for my work. THanks again.
Teresa
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Kim/Teresa,

The heron was cut from sheet copper. You can order it by the roll from Nimrod Hall on line in various widths.

Any decoration where decopauge is applied should not be put in the dishwasher. I had a customer do that and the chart came off. Actually, it was my customer's husband. When I used to do shows and we would have a lot of dew or rain the decopauge would turn a little milky but after the sun shone on it it would dry again with no harm done.

I'm in Punta Gorda between Sarasota and Ft. Myers.

Judy
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Kim,

Regarding the Pearl Ex, I've only fired them with float and I fired float to around 1480 and hold 20 minutes.

Judy
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Thank you Judy!
Kim
Mira

Post by Mira »

Judy -
What section of Michaels are you finding Pearl Ex. I'd like to pick some up, but the clerks here usually have no idea what I'm talking about - is it w/paints?
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Mira,

Pearl Ex is in the paint department. It's sort of a square box with a clear window showing 12 small bottles of different colors of powders. Look in the area for painting on glass.

Judy
charlie

Post by charlie »

Mira Woodworth wrote:Judy -
What section of Michaels are you finding Pearl Ex. I'd like to pick some up, but the clerks here usually have no idea what I'm talking about - is it w/paints?
it's frequently in the rubber stamping aisle in the micheal's around here.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Judy,

I love the stuff you've been doing with the copper! I am going to run a test tonight with some copper foil and mesh that I have.

Also, what is your member name for picturetrail? When I click on the main page to see other albums, it just takes me to the member login page. Very frustrating! I wanna see all the bottles and other things everyone is talking about!
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Jenny,

try http://www.picturetrail.com/judyfla

I'll be posting a picture of another copper piece I took out of the kiln this morning. This one is dolphins.

Judy
Sandi

Re: Still Playing with Copper

Post by Sandi »

Judy
Your copper work is awesome. I am new at using the kiln for glass and want to try your copper technique. Do you fuse the copper between two sheets of float or Spectrum 96 and slump in a mold at the same time? Or do you do one firing of fusing the copper and glass then a second firing into the slumping mold?
Sandi
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Hi Sandi,

Regarding the bowls with copper inclusions, I do two firings. The first one to fuse the copper between the two layers of double strength float then the second firing to slump the piece. Slumping temperatures would not be not enough to fuse the glass together.

The panels are, of course, done in one firing.

Judy
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Judy: So I went to Michaels and got some Pearl Ex (Yikes!!! $50.00 here in Canada - did have my coupon so that helped). This weekend I want to give it a try. So I just mix it with glue or something and then put it between glass and fire away???? Please give me a quick how to on trying it out this weekend - with copper and without copper inclusions. I know I could probably go through the Archives, but..... (even read the beginning of this trail, but....) :oops: :roll: :roll:
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com