Playing with even more copper

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Nickie Jordan

Post by Nickie Jordan »

Ron -
You are a fabulous fabricator and artist. Not only that, from the minute I posted my first question here, you were right on it with technical information (and web site addresses).
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us all. Hope you keep on posting your photos & info. - Nickie
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

Hi Ron-

Wow!

I'd come to Ohio, too, to learn how to make one of your fabulous art boxes.

Pat L.
Zane
Location: moved to Illinois (not Chicago) in 2006 from Wisconsin

Post by Zane »

Fantastic piece!!
A pleasure to look at. :D

Zane
jolly

Post by jolly »

Ron, I love your work! It is some of the best use of copper I've seen. Love the black border around the copper! Keep it up, Jolly
There is more to life than increasing its speed.-Mahatma Gandhi
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

jolly wrote:Ron, I love your work! It is some of the best use of copper I've seen. Love the black border around the copper! Keep it up, Jolly
Thanks Jolly. Someone mentioned copper and black glass a few weeks ago, was it Brock? Anyway I thought I'd give it a try. It works for sure.

Now I have a story to tell you. Every time I see your location address, Port Townsend, WA, I get a big grin :D

About 35 years ago, when I was stationed in Viet Nam, I used to read your local newspaper, The Port Townsend News I think, every week. In fact several of us read it each week. The interesting thing was we didn't know anyone from Port Townsend, but we got the paper each week and read it from front to back several times.

Just from reading the stories you got a mental picture of what was going back in the world even if you didn't know all the players. It was a real life soap opera.

For a long time I didn't even know where Port Townsend was because we didn't have a map. When I found out where Port Townsend really was it was all the more amazing to me. You'll never know how much your community was a part of our daily lives.

Ron
Dani

Post by Dani »

What a great story, Ron. It rang a chime with me for a couple of reasons. When I was a kid, I lived for a very short time near Aberdeen and Gray's Harbor, WA.... and because I've had a short subscription to assorted rural papers in the recent few years in areas we considered as a home. Reading local news for a few months is a great way to get to know a place! My next subscription is going to be for the New Ulm, MN news. Anyone can feel free to add between-the-lines information! :wink:
lindapos

Your Wonderful work

Post by lindapos »

I am a newbie to glass, but your work is wonderful! Can you explain how you made this with the copper? I also from Florida and would like to know if you ever come to south Florida area to teach?

LindaPos
Ron Coleman

Re: Your Wonderful work

Post by Ron Coleman »

lindapos wrote:I am a newbie to glass, but your work is wonderful! Can you explain how you made this with the copper? I also from Florida and would like to know if you ever come to south Florida area to teach?

LindaPos
The process of fusing with copper has been explained several times on the board, but the basic principle is to fuse a layer of thin copper foil between lalyer of glass.

In this piece, the copper foil was .001 inches thick and cut to leave a border of about 3/8 inch all the way around. The actual process of fuaing is simple but the end results change with each piece. Different firing rates and different types of glass will give different colors to the copper. I favor the rich reds and red purples with a little bare copper showing. The more the copper is exposed to heat and air the more the colors will change.

The box building process is explained on the first page of this thread.
Ron
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Ron,

Your work is absolutly outstanding!!!!!!!! I'm speechless.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Phil Hoppes wrote:Ron,

Your work is absolutly outstanding!!!!!!!! I'm speechless.
I like your new big box better. Wanna trade?

Ron
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Hmmm.....Well, I can't aford the time and energy and $$ to build another one so let's put it this way, you are welcome to fire all you want....here in Overgaard. I'll save some space for you in the upper right quadrant ok?

:wink:
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

That should be enough room. I can see it now, a fused box made from a full sheet of BE.

Thinking big

Ron
Liam

Post by Liam »

Looks great Ron
The brass insert looks similar to your last posted box pictures

how did you attach the brass insert again?

Liam
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Liam wrote:Looks great Ron
The brass insert looks similar to your last posted box pictures

how did you attach the brass insert again?

Liam
I just glue them in with E6000 or silicon.

Ron