Playing with even more copper

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Ron Coleman

Playing with even more copper

Post by Ron Coleman »

Black and clear with .001 copper foil.

Fused without sand

Ron
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Ron:
You continue to blow me away. I would love to take a class from you. Come on down to Sunny Florida!! Really beautiful work
Kim :lol:
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Yet another fantastic piece. WOW!!

I second the motion for a Coleman class especially in Florida. Miami maybe?

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

I just love your boxes.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Ron,

Are the sides and top copper? Did you treat the sides and top differently to get different colors?

It is beeeaaauuttiiiful!!!!!

Judy
Mira

Post by Mira »

That one got out-loud clapping from me. Had to make my family come and see. I have no idea how you do it, but boy, would I ever like to know!!

Wooonnnnddddeeeerrffuulllllll!
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Judy Schnabel wrote:Ron,

Are the sides and top copper? Did you treat the sides and top differently to get different colors?

It is beeeaaauuttiiiful!!!!!

Judy
Thanks Judy. This one has copper all the way around. The color changes with the lighting and reflections off the background paper. I know the sides look a little red-lavender in the picture but they match the top if the light changes. This one was a little hard to photograph.

Ron
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Mira Woodworth wrote:That one got out-loud clapping from me. Had to make my family come and see. I have no idea how you do it, but boy, would I ever like to know!!

Wooonnnnddddeeeerrffuulllllll!
Thanks Mira. Nothing really difficult to making the box. just time consuming.

Cut and fuse the glass and copper to make the top, bottom and two end pieces.

Slump the two ends and the lid at 1270 over homemade forms. I use stainless steel for the u-shaped ends and a ceramaguard mold for the lid.

When cool, grind the edges of the end pieces for a good fit with the bottom piece. Apply a little magic Ferro Frit #3419 to the joints and set bottom and two end pieces in the kiln. VERY CAREFULLY fire to about 1175 and all is fused together, HOPEFULLY. Otherwise they sag and fall over and you end up with expensive scrap glass.

Cut and add the side inserts and the addition of a lining finishes the box.

Ron
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Ron, I second the idea of a class and Columbus Ohio would be just fine with me. I'm only 2 hours away. Beautiful box. Nanc
slats

copper king

Post by slats »

Ron.....with your permission.....can I shout? YOU ARE NOT ONLY AMAZING YOUR WORK IS BREATHTAKING....AND EVEN MORE YOU ARE SO VERY HUMBLE AND GENEROUS......FEW ARE.......!!!!!!!! Im signing up for your class anywhere............................ :wink:
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

I ditto doctac..... truly awesome Ron....
You make it sound sooooo easy to make - yeh right!!!!
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

...gasp...
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

What is this "Ferro Frit #3419"? The numbering sounds like frits used for making ceramic glazes. Just curious.

Cheers,
Suzan
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Ron,

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the colour and curved shape - elegant. All black interior?

Susan
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Suzan wrote:What is this "Ferro Frit #3419"? The numbering sounds like frits used for making ceramic glazes. Just curious.

Cheers,
Suzan
It is the same material. Ferro firt #3419 starts melting at about 1000f. I use is like a hot melt glue. Coat the joints of the box, stand the parts in the kiln and heat carefully.

Just remember #3419 has a very high lead content 60+%.

Ron
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Susan Moore wrote:Ron,

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the colour and curved shape - elegant. All black interior?

Susan
I add an insert of fiberboard inside on the bottom and cover it with velvet. I also line the lid with fiberboard and cover it with velvet. the lid lining acts to center and hold the lid in place. I use adhesive backed velvet. The sides on the interior are black glass.

Ron
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Ron,

Thanks for the info Ron. Velvet sounds even more elegant! Lovely finishing touch.

Susan
GatorGirl

Post by GatorGirl »

Breathtaking!
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

jeez, another good one. please tell me what the piece in the center of the side is ... i'm not sure what i'm looking at. i'm talking about the slightly recessed area, looks sort of like stone.

sounds like you could do a cross-country/transPacific tour of box lessons, Florida to the Big Island.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

The recess has a brass insert that fills the gap between the end pieces of glass. I use a little dab of JAX Chemical patina stuff for stained glass to give it a little color.

Ron