Screen Melt

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

jim burchett

Screen Melt

Post by jim burchett »

IMG_1512691833502.jpeg
First attempt at a partial screen drop object...pr[img][img][/img][/img]etty pleased
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Vonon

Re: Screen Melt

Post by Vonon »

Jim, What happens to the screen when you get to this point? I can only imagine the timing control it takes to achieve this result but I must know how/if you get rid of the screening material.
Vonon
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

This 'technique' has taken the Fused Glass Fanatics Facebook group by storm. (Someone posts an 'interesting' potmelt and everyone makes a bunch; someone posts a crackle piece, and again, it takes off!)

The original poster of this design allows the embedded wire, mesh, screen, chains, etc. to remain in the glass. I asked about annealing and concern about the glass cracking around the inclusion but my question was never answered.

Jim, I'm curious how the wire is holding up? Is the integrity of the glass compromised around the inclusion? (Not that I want to make one of these, but just wondering) :shock:
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Hi Valerie,
I had the same question. Seems the embedded wire would cause the glass to stress crack.
But that is only theory. As my favorite saying goes. ....reality trumps theory every time.
So Jim...any problems?

BTW Valerie. Seems as if there are some people who sleep with their computers set to FGF and are ready to post at the ring of a bell. Too many uninformed answers.

Barry
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I have made several of these as I like the look of them. The wiremesh is imbedded in the glass with no sign of a problem yet. I have not examined them with a polarized lense so cannot say they are stress free for sure. So far , so good. And the FGF group is quite fanatic
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

"BTW Valerie. Seems as if there are some people who sleep with their computers set to FGF and are ready to post at the ring of a bell. Too many uninformed answers.

Barry"

:-)
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

I appear to be "persona non grata" at FGF. I keep submitting requests to join the group and never get accepted. Admittedly, my facebook page is blank as I only intend to look at glass items and some others. Too old to be interested in socializing....
Lynn Perry
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Lynn, you might consider it a blessing!

At first, I was really excited to be able to give back just a little bit of what I've learned from this incredible board.

But the FGF group simply isn't that interested in learning. Teach them how to pop a bubble and fill it with frit to refire and they're happy (and no, I'm not advocating that!). There's also an overall lack of design integrity in my opinion. When I shared a few photos all I got was questions as to how to make my piece. They expect you to give step-by-step instructions and they don't seem to care if people copy each other.

Of course, there are many people who are honest and passionate about the materials too but the others have turned me off for the most part.
Stephen Richard

I agree Valerie that the FGF group does not seem particularly interested in learning. But that seems to be the way with a lot of the Facebook groups. However I persist. I have set up a group (Fusing Q&A) which attempts to give reasons for doing things and includes a weekly tip for people to consider. (although some seem to fall asleep while reading, or just do not have the required attention span)
Steve Richard
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

The signal to noise ratio of the group is about -100 db. With >7000 people, many who are actively participating, you can't expect much. It's unfortunate.

Dana W.
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Thanks for the information. If I ever do get accepted (hope it is not something I have done incorrectly in my facebook account), I will be very careful with the group.
Lynn Perry
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Dana is so right. The signal to noise ratio is ridiculous. Very little information is actually passed around. It's a shame too. I am sure Warren set it up with great intentions. Wish people would filter out the gratuitous "lovelys" etc. that would cut out 95% of the noise.
Stephens group is great. Very informative. Good place to ask and answer questions.
Probably get crucified for this, but there are far too few people in these groups who are actually creative (either artistically or technically). Many simply want their hand held through creating a piece.

Barry
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Lynn,
Email Warren Norgaard at the Phoenix Art Center. I am pretty sure it is just some type of oversight.
If you need his email addy, just email me.

Barry
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hey Jim,

From the perspective of your image it appears that the amount of "flowage" might be related to viscosity variations. Interesting.

Cheers,

Bob
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Barry Kaiser wrote:Lynn,
Email Warren Norgaard at the Phoenix Art Center. I am pretty sure it is just some type of oversight.
If you need his email addy, just email me.

Barry
Hi Barry. Thanks for your suggestion. It is getting pretty funny now. I can not even see the page for Fused Glass Fanatics on Facebook, if this is the correct link and it is working:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fusedglassfanatics/

I am pretty certain I do not want to have anything to do with that group.

Lynn
Lynn Perry
Judd

Post by Judd »

I was basically asked to leave FGF. Always the rebel...
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Judd....why?

The group is actually a pretty good group. It is just a victim of its own success and of human nature.
You can't moderate a group like this for correct answers. So many people are on this group and they desperately want to give answers. Well, some are right and some are wrong.
If you go online and want to see some pretty interesting pieces, you are fine. If you are expecting perfect answers to every question.........no chance.
Also, there is no spab section. If you are pissed at someones answer (or at someone), you better be gentle in your responses.

Barrt
Stephen Richard

I questioned the moderators' application of the rules about promotion. Turned out one of the people I complained about was a moderator. I was banned fo failing to respect the moderator's decision. It is run on the lines of "if you don't show respect for the whims of the moderators, you must leave" I would have liked to participate, but I am happy that I am not a member, nor allowed to be.
Steve Richard
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

There is a reason that Fanatics is part of the title..and many of the folksthere have very thin skins,but there is some interesting work there. Have to be very careful how you respond to people..its actuaslly a good place to lurk.
Terri Stanley

Post by Terri Stanley »

Valerie Adams wrote:Lynn, you might consider it a blessing!

At first, I was really excited to be able to give back just a little bit of what I've learned from this incredible board.

But the FGF group simply isn't that interested in learning. Teach them how to pop a bubble and fill it with frit to refire and they're happy (and no, I'm not advocating that!). There's also an overall lack of design integrity in my opinion. When I shared a few photos all I got was questions as to how to make my piece. They expect you to give step-by-step instructions and they don't seem to care if people copy each other.

Of course, there are many people who are honest and passionate about the materials too but the others have turned me off for the most part.
I agree with you, Valerie. When I questioned some terminology being used and suggested a term more commonly used. A few, actually many of them overacted. I had one guy telling my I have no idea what I was talking about.
I suggested a few books and homework they should check out, responded to some of the delicate flowers who were offended by my harsh delivery and I left. I don't care for the games and the sickening amount of false flattery.
At least here and some other fb glass groups you can find an honest opinion. I need that.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright