New piece

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Don Burt

New piece

Post by Don Burt »

This is titled 'Chicory'. it's a three layered panel, the first of which has fused elements that make flower stems, leaves, and petals. The other two layers are painted and stained float sheets with painted stained glass borders. Image
Kevin Midgley

Re: New piece

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Amazing details.
Must have kept you busy for at least 5 minutes. =D> =D>
The stain on the backhoe is colour perfect.
Andrea R

Post by Andrea R »

just amazing !!!!!
"C'est Moi (Its Me)"
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Don.. superb workmanship.. I'm wondering what the story is behind this piece.. I find the red/white outer border rather jarring but maybe that has something to do with the tractor/construction theme?? =D>
"The Glassman"
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Thank you for the kind words. I've wanted to do a piece with chicory for a long time. It grows in our county by the roadside, and it seems like the more inhospitable the roadside, the more persistent the chicory is. So the only back story is that in my part of the country it would be a typical scene to have a backhoe and empty industrial acreage in back of a fine stand of chicory. The outer border is orange enamel on white glass to match the orange barrels in the background. The little black and yellow medallions are like reflectors that we see at the end of guardrails on the freeway. The piece is in my house so I've seen it in all kinds of light. I'm OK with the colors. The larger border with the really saturated colors is transparent enamel over rich colored antique glass. The enamel colors are near-complements to the glass colors (i.e blue on orange, red on green, purple on yellow) so they act like a neutral tonal paints. The frame is plywood lumber chosen for nice lettering and blue edges. The cleats were galvanized but I sandblasted them in the hope that they'll oxidize some day.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Thanks Don for the explanation.. it helps us to understand your ART. Congratulations it's a fine piece! Thanks for sharing.
"The Glassman"
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Keep playing Don.
What you are doing is =D> =D> =D> =D> .

My guess is that you had fun doing it and were as happy as a five year old feeding ducks.
What big kid doesn't still want to play with excavators? :D
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Really beautiful. I love chicory -- it grows along the road here, too.

Thanks for sharing! Dana W.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Don, I keep coming back to check and the backhoe and drums are still there! Have you phoned the county/city/local authority?

Love the weeds and the border, not sure about the drums or the backhoe but it’s a brilliant, clear yellow and the whole scene has great depth. The yellow is enamel (R & G?) isn’t it, rather than silver stain?

When I lived in the frozen north these beautiful blue flowers appeared there, too, every summer. The local custom was to call them flax, (as linen flowers).

Once again your beautiful, intricate work has inspired and challenged me. I’m adding my ‘thank you’ for sharing, too. Jen
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Thanks Jen. Yes, The backhoe was done in enamels and isn't stain. Now that I think about it, there may not be any silver stain on that panel.