Giant clam

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Fiona Collins

Giant clam

Post by Fiona Collins »

After fusing for 8 years I'm finally making some stuff I'm happy with, this is my current favourite 45cm x 25cm, s96 and gaffer powders
IMG_20160808_205855.jpg
IMG_20160808_205822.jpg
Kevin Midgley

Re: Giant clam

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Congratulations =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I really like the outside although the inside depth of colour is great.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

I'm along with Kevin. I hope others are clicking on image to view then enlarge, very nice. On a previous thread I get that you are from Oz, are you near the Great Barrier Reef or right into diving? peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Fiona Collins

Post by Fiona Collins »

Thanks guys
Kevin, I'm working on getting shell like textures on the outsides, my husband thinks I've lost the plot, I used spend my time coldworking to get a smooth surface, now I spend the time fusing texture into it.
Haydo, I'm in Darwin, we spend time on the water not in it (too many snapping handbags and jellies) I get over to thailand a bit and am trying t capture the andaman colours
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Beautiful piece, Fiona. Congratulations. Jen =D>
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

FIona - very beautiful piece. I too have been making big shells, using different techniques to try and achieve a realistic exterior - I started by channeling Bob Leatherbarrow. :wink:
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Ohhhh. I get so excited when I see a new post in the photos. The shell is so beautiful. Great combination of smooth and rough. The depth of color is outstanding. I hope you'll post more of these.

PS snapping handbags?
Vonon
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Vonon, your question has gone unanswered for a few days so I'll take a shot. I'm pretty sure the handbag reference is about crocodiles. Their skins are used for leather goods. No fun swimming with giant Salties (salt-water crocodiles). Jellies would be jellyfish which can have trailing, stinging tendrils.
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Oh. Duh, should have guessed that. #-o
Vonon