Second plate for 2017.

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Haydo

Second plate for 2017.

Post by Haydo »

This is the second plate, similarly constructed by using what was on hand at the time. The idea at first was to continue the placing of smaller and smaller pieces of glass to achieve a blending in the greater portion of the plate opposite the design panel. Ain't nobody got time for that, in my impatience I worked out I would have enough whole strips to go that way. Hindsight tells me I should have made pattern bars to realise what I had intended. Funny piece really, it grew on me as I cold worked it. My wife thought it was a dogs breakfast but now likes it a lot. The design panel used old cane doing nothing in the studio and is what prompted me to revisit a cane cutter I had half finished some time ago.
SIDE
SIDE
BOTTOM
BOTTOM
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
JestersBaubles

Re: Second plate for 2017.

Post by JestersBaubles »

Gorgeous - thank you for sharing.

Those colors are my favorite, so if you get tired of looking at the "dog's breakfast", you can send it my way :mrgreen: .

Dana W.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thank you Dana. It's almost impossible not to share. This forum over the years is excellent for doing that. - haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

I have come back a number of times to look at this piece. Each time it grew on me. It was not until I magnified the photos that I developed a full appreciation of what you have done. A closer look reveals how the murine bits embedded on the backside made very subtle interruptions on the flow of lines on the front side. Like introducing just a touch of chaos to a regimented design. Very interesting to me that much of your work employs a sense of tension by using a certain combination of elements. Nice work!
Vonon
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Pieces like Haydo produces are examples of a good form of insanity with insanity being defined as an almost insane amount of working towards perfection.
If you don't take time to first have a vision of a piece you want to make and then follow it, these creations just are not possible.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

What they said! Meticulous attention to execution, nothing sloppy here. Congrats again, Haydo. Jen
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Your words are very kind and much appreciated Vonon. Getting that appreciation of work is important, little rewards at the end are welcome. I'm happy that you took your time to consider this piece, that's all we can ask for, being makers and or creators of things. At the moment I'm learning to be even more critical of myself by developing a few picture books while I wait for the stars to align for the studio. Funny process, definitely hones the patience.
Thanks Kevin. I'm hoping I can regain the intensity I had when constructing my fourth plate. Had to come to a dead stop half way through it some time ago. I think you nailed it, describing the intensity come insanity. It's what carries me through the periods of questioning. Start at the end and work back, why?,why?,why? do this to me.
Cheers Jen. Yet I still can't explain to my Maree satisfactorily how my studio remains in a state of chaos,.....hahaha.
-haydo