Third plate for 2017

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Haydo

Third plate for 2017

Post by Haydo »

This one came about as the other two, not enough large sheets of glass so needed to think a bit. My son would come to stay up here whenever his job took him away from Brisbane and out to the mines or coal ports. My wife and I both noticed how he would be always looking at a thick murrini slab mounted on a thick round metal base. This slab is called "danger" and resembled a reef in my mind to rising sea temperatures. So an effort was put in to do something same same but different. The slab went to someone else and this third plate goes to him for his 30th.
TOP- light source lower
TOP- light source lower
TOP - light source behind
TOP - light source behind
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Kevin Midgley

Re: Third plate for 2017

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Best not to worry about market for work like this. Eventually someone will come by and be so appreciative that they will commission you. Nice work. Person in today looking at my glass and thinking about it. This probably 15 years after their last purchase from me.
Haydo

Re: Third plate for 2017

Post by Haydo »

Thanks Kev. You're right, that's what my young blokes reckon about commissions and why I should just muck around in the studio. A former workmate suggested to me that I should target the personal custom baptismal bowl idea and my wife has been on to me for years to do bowls and plates. I always thought, who is going to buy a bowl for the price I put into it? I guess if they are unique enough and well finished there might be a market somewhere. Below is a couple more images of this piece.
BOTTOM- light from behind
BOTTOM- light from behind
BOTTOM - light from front
BOTTOM - light from front
SIDE- profile of design panel
SIDE- profile of design panel
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!