Sink pictures (only a few of them)

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Patty, where do you get those rings?
Stephie
Jane

Post by Jane »

No fair I can't see the new pictures.....saw the two pictures of the all the sinks....what am I doing wrong. Wish I was there.

j
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Jane wrote:No fair I can't see the new pictures.....saw the two pictures of the all the sinks....what am I doing wrong. Wish I was there.

j
The trick was that the link was never posted... you need to be a mind reader. :twisted:

But for those who are less capable, here's the link to the rest of the photos
http://www.pattygray.com/sinks/sinkclass1feb2004.html

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Jane

Post by Jane »

Tony, Thank you! Very cool pictures.

J
Jane

Post by Jane »

Tony, Thank you! Very cool pictures.

J
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

Thanks for the pictures, Patty. All the sinks are beautiful! What a great addition to home decor, and especially special for the person who made them!

Pat Loboda
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Very nice all around.

Patty, I'm curious about the "circle edger polisher" you mention. Is this like a Somaca circle polisher? How thick can the glass be? How fast does it work? How much does one cost?

Thanks,

ch
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Charlie,

The circle edger/polisher (puts a pencil edge on the glass) was around $3500 years ago and I don't think it included the diamond wheels for that price), I think it's around $5000 now. Plus we have custom grinding wheels for the 3/4" and the original price didn't include them because we bought them at a different time. We also have the straight edger/polisher. We bought from Somaca but there are other places that sell them (CR Laurence, Abrasive Tech, etc.)

The circle edger/polisher, the largest circle I tried on it (this piece was a open face casting, 1/2" thick) was either 42" or 45". The larger the circle the longer it takes due to the rotation of the circle. I would say to use the two grinding wheels (diamond) that we have for the 3/4" it really didn't take that long but the students had to make sure there wasn't any high spots before they used the edger (Sterling was very strict with this. So students had to keep going back to either the wet belts, diamond hand pads or lapwheels until Sterling was satisfied that the thickness was just right for the machine). It's a great machine but it does have a few drawbacks too.

For the sink class we wanted to help speed up the coldworking so we could get the sinks into the class. We didn't put the polishing wheel on the circle edger so the students would have more practice and use the wet belts. Students also used the hand held grinders too (I had two of these for their use plus we had two wet belts-brand new).

Some of the students put a flat polished edge on their pieces too. Interesting how different each of the sinks turned out, it was great.

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I do wish I had one of those machines but here are a few factors. The real nice pro machines sell new for $50,000 (makes bevels as well as edges...). Comparably the $5000 machine is quite a bit more Mickey Mouse. You have to change out the diamond wheels for each grit and then make sure the machine is perfectly clean. That means that you would really want one machine for each grit. By that point the big machine looks very appealing as it is designed for easy change out of wheels and it has a better facility for holding the glass while it is being ground.

I believe that the machines that Patty has are designed to go up to 1/2" thick. It is interesting that Patty managed to get 3/4" wheels for hers. CRL changed their design and lowered the price a year or 2 ago.

I imagine that bargain machines are available once in a blue moon when a company goes out of business and has an auction, or possibly a decent price from a leasing company when one comes off lease.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Bert,

Want to clear up a few things about this machine. It is still available through CR Laurence, Somaca and few other places. No you do not have to change out each of the diamond wheels. The position of the wheels you can only have two wheels in place at a time. You rotate your piece to the different wheels. No you do not have to clean out each grit after each wheel. These are diamond wheels not the silcon carbide grit. Not many home studios can well afford a $50,000 machine. This edger polisher may not be the perfect machine but it has a very strong motor, the diamond wheels are wonderful (and by the way we custom ordered the 3/4" wheels). This machine is not mickey mouse with the concept of what it does. Have you ever used this machine? We (Randy, Sterling and I) have edged many, many circles with this machine. We have also used the WBS for many circles.

Plus, many home studios would not have the space for the commercial sized machines. This edger polisher is a great size and like I said in a previous post the largest circle that we edged/polished was either 42" or 45", not a small project and this machine did a beautiful pencil edge polish.

Patty
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Bert, while it may not be the $50,000 factory polisher like you have, it produces a uniform polish on the edge of the glass and works fine for small to medium size projects (42" to 45").

Patty
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Patty Gray wrote:Bert, while it may not be the $50,000 factory polisher like you have, it produces a uniform polish on the edge of the glass and works fine for small to medium size projects (42" to 45").

Patty
Patty

I have neither edger. I design my work to not need edgework LOL.

Like I said, I'd like one of these.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Those sinks look great, Patty. Bet you guys had a lot of fun, too.
xxoo
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Boy, you can say what you want about Patty, but don't you dare trash-talk her tools! :wink:

knows better
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Tony, you slay me!
BB
Barbara Bader
badlab

Glass Edger for less the $500.00

Post by badlab »

:idea:

Hi Patty.....

Guess I could have e-mailed you but maybe someone can provide additional input to this low-budget\yet to be contructed\50-50 chance of working glass edger I am designing\building with the help of a arc welder. water pump, spare screws and other "stuff" i have laying around from my other past great idea's.....

Torque and adhesion were the main stumbling blocks to this design....

Spent several hours in Harbor Freight looking for "stuff" that I could easily convert to use as an glass edger...here is what I came up with....

I will handle torque by finding an el cheapo "variable" low speed "horizontal" polishing\lap\Harbor freight type of machine that is currently on sale.....

I will use velcro to adhere the glass to the torquey\low speed machine. Probably will use some type of glue to adhere the velcro to both the torquey\low speed machine and the glass it self...can scrap this off when finished....

O.K. So we got this thing spinning "horizontally" in a circle and have water from a pump splashing the side...next is how the grinding will be done....

Gravity will be used to do the grinding (this is were the arc welder and screws come in to play)....

I will "fashion" a steel arm that is attached to a base on one end so that it can swing up and down and the other end has the stationary grinding surface.....(imagine your lower arm connected to your upper arm, your lower arm is flat on the table and your upper arm\with the hand is holding a piece of sandpaper)....by the use of gravity the steel arm with the grinding surface will lean against the glass surface and voila' the outer edge of the glass circle will be slowly ground to a smooth edge....

O.K. ...The grinding surface will need to be shaped so that it creates a concaved surface (this would be simple to do)....also the glass circle will probably need to be "flipped" so that the other side can be done....but maybe not :D ...I might be able to use a adjustable "spring loaded" arm that pushes parallel against the glass circle so that even pressure is applied to the side of the glass while it is spinning. thus no flipping would be needed...

Anyway I think I can do this for less the $500....will see...don't laugh at the pictures I send you if this works..... :wink:

-d