First 'real' gig and paint results

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Rebecca M.

First 'real' gig and paint results

Post by Rebecca M. »

This is the results of the Thompson's screening and painting paints that I used yesterday. It's for my first 'real' commission piece. Well, money will change hands if approved. The guy says to me 'she's turning 21, likes pastel colors and I have X amount of dollars.' I hope he approves it anyway, I don't know anybody else named Vanessa. :lol:
He originally wanted a stained glass box, but the thought of foil and solder left me enervated.

I'm not completely unhappy with it, but I'd change quite a few things if I was to do it again. Namely position of the 'jewelry'. All the big parts went right in the fold. I don't know what I was thinking. Sweet son says it looks like Dali. 1st pic is just painted, 2nd is done. I cured the paint and slumped in one step. Some of the paints changed color. All the blue was purple. I almost lost some of it because I forgot about the higher temp needed to slump white. :roll:
The paint is nice. Some went on pretty thick, and it holds up well even when thinned with the A-14. Nice blendability too. They are the pre-mixed in water miscable..missable..DOH! medium.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

becca

Keep at it. In 7 years you'll have mastered it. LOL

Did you buy enamels already mixed with medium? If so, how much did they charge for them? You can thin those with water. You don't need medium to thin them, although if that works, fine.

I started out mixing large quantities of enamels and medium and storing them in jars. I found that it is a pain to reconstitute them after a long sit, so in the future I plan to mix as I use.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Bert Weiss wrote:becca

Keep at it. In 7 years you'll have mastered it. LOL

Did you buy enamels already mixed with medium? If so, how much did they charge for them? You can thin those with water. You don't need medium to thin them, although if that works, fine.

I started out mixing large quantities of enamels and medium and storing them in jars. I found that it is a pain to reconstitute them after a long sit, so in the future I plan to mix as I use.
Mastered what? Spelling misa- misca- ah fuggetaboudit. :D

I got the sample set from Thompsons. Already mixed and it came with a jar of A-14. About $30-35. It says on the site they can be thinned with water and used in a Kemper pen too. I did get some bleeding when it was too thin.

The guy liked it. Well he didn't exactly admit to liking something so girlie, but said she would like it. Good enough.

I still want to take your painting class Oh Bertiliscious One. (the hat was a nice touch)
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

(the hat was a nice touch)
The hat was awesome - such a good picture! By the way Bert, care to tell us who your students were. I didn't recognize the folks in the picture but perhaps we know their names from the board?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Jackie Beckman wrote:
(the hat was a nice touch)
The hat was awesome - such a good picture! By the way Bert, care to tell us who your students were. I didn't recognize the folks in the picture but perhaps we know their names from the board?
I didn't want to expose my bald head LOL. Besides, the beret is how you know I'm an artist...

Larry Lunsford, Ellie Sprague, Chris Erickson, Sarah Bunge, Gordon Exon, Chris Quist. The others had already left before we got around to the photo. Carol Swann was the photographer, It's her new kiln.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions