Pic of new work

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Lisa Allen

Pic of new work

Post by Lisa Allen »

Here is a pic of something new. Closer shots can be seen on my website, go to the sculptural page. It was really hard to get a good shot, the metal work is far more intriguing in person, but I don't think it shows really well in a photo.....or maybe I am just the shittiest photographer on the planet.

Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Very cool Lisa, you did it. I remember you discussing the concept at WGWII.

I can't tell from the pictures, which are fine, how the glass is attached . . .
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
lauren

Post by lauren »

YAY YOU DID IT!

i've been checking your website for eons, to see if you had done this yet. i was so excited by your plans. it looks GREAT. do you have more pics from other angles? i'd love to see more
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Wow Lisa--what a great new direction! I wish I could see if from straight on too. How in the heck did you make that keyhole cut! That must have been nerve wracking no matter how you did it! I can't wait to see more!!!!!!!!!! Exciting!
Amy
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Brock, the top piece sits in grooves cut into the metal, dabbed with silicone. The bottom one has its own little clip that was welded onto the snakey piece of metal that comes up into the void.

Lauren, thanks. I have had the pieces for months, waiting for my busy metal worker friend to get crackin.

Amy, they were cut with a water jet, which takes a seemingly impossible task and makes it possible. I would have had to be institutionalized if I had to try to do that myself.....

Lisa
Lisa Allen
Amy on Salt Spring

Question from my husband who loves the gadgets...where did you get a water jet? Do you own one?
-A
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:Question from my husband who loves the gadgets...where did you get a water jet? Do you own one?
-A
Ha, I wish! I used Water Jet Design in Oregon to cut them out for me. I can only imagine how much that machine costs. Lots of stone yards use them to cut out granite/marble counter tops. Big huge things that use a computer generated image to guide the jet.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
Amy on Salt Spring

My husband says to me when I read your reply, "You asked her if she owned it?? I could have told you that!" Was it expensive to have them do it? And you had to send them all the way to OR from TN? No place closer?
-A
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:My husband says to me when I read your reply, "You asked her if she owned it?? I could have told you that!" Was it expensive to have them do it? And you had to send them all the way to OR from TN? No place closer?
-A
I am working on the closer part. I have a couple of leads to follow up on locally. I think in the end it cost me about $100 not counting shipping both ways. But this was a special experiment that I wanted to do, so I was willing to pay. I would much rather find someone closer that will cut a deal with me for repeat business, but I have to make sure that they can work with glass and assure no chipping.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Way cool Lisa. How did your new diamonds work out? :D
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Lisa, this is fantastic! I so hope this is the first in a long series of these wonderful little guys. I'm not sure about this, but, I think the waterjet cutting expense would not be that much greater if you added more guys, provided they needed the same cut as the first. Reguardless - they are just fabulous - I was hoping to see them soon - I've visited your website looking to see if they were around yet . . . ok, and also to see if your critters are hiding somewhere in that site, too. Great job!

Jackie
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Very cool Lisa. I love that pattern bar stuff. Wish I could do that but my mind just doesn't work that way.

E
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Lisa, it's wonderful. The stand really works well with the piece. Congratulations. I would be very pleased with myself if I were you!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Good works Lisa, well done.

It's great realising an idea, no? Success is sweet.

Again, well done.
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Lisa,

Very cool piece. Nice job. I love the composition.

Amy
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

Lisa,

The sculpture is great. I've been watching your computer simulation for months waiting for the real thing and I really like it. Well done.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Lisa

Isn't the water jet an amazing machine. I got to watch it work at John Groth's studio. John is an expert at cutting glass. He explained to me that the critical moment is when the jet cuts through the bottom on it's way through the thickness of the glass. Once it is moving around, there are fewer issues. I am curious to hear about other people's experiences working with waterjet machines whose operators are less experienced with glass cutting.

The next step is to slump the little folks. Great work!
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

way cool, Lisa.
i'd like to know how tall and wide they are.
thanks for posting the great pix!
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Bert Weiss wrote:Lisa

Isn't the water jet an amazing machine. I got to watch it work at John Groth's studio. John is an expert at cutting glass. He explained to me that the critical moment is when the jet cuts through the bottom on it's way through the thickness of the glass. Once it is moving around, there are fewer issues. I am curious to hear about other people's experiences working with waterjet machines whose operators are less experienced with glass cutting.

The next step is to slump the little folks. Great work!
Yeah, Bert, John is great. I am betting it will be hard to find someone locally that will be as knowledgable as he is, so I will probably keep sending him my work. It just seems wrong not to at least see what is available. I am going to make up some clear blanks to take for testing.

Slumping is on its way. I have ideas for little folks in all manner of positions.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Thanks to everyone with all of the positive feedback. It is so nice to have a community to share with, especially when you are half crazy from being alone in the studio so much. Most of my converstaions are with dogs and little glass people.......I guess I am ok til they start talking back......

Kitty, both people are about 10" high and 7" wide. The whole shebang, stand and all, is about 3'. As you can see, I am all about estimating :lol:

Lisa
Lisa Allen