Doc, Doc, Doc . . . Goose

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

All right..... I'll get over it but I took Brock and Avery's class too and definitely didn't get what you did out of it!!!! :oops: (Probably too busy talking). So can you just tell me about the sides of your "Rainforest" piece??? The pale green in the middle - is that just thin pattern bars that you made??? How did you get such a thin sliver of pale green in between the dark green???
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Kathie Karancz wrote:So can you just tell me about the sides of your "Rainforest" piece??? The pale green in the middle - is that just thin pattern bars that you made??? How did you get such a thin sliver of pale green in between the dark green???
The border is made of about 500 pieces of glass. Each section of the border has a "sandwich" of dark green - light green-dark green; with a vertical piece of black in between each sandwich. No pattern bars, tricks, or sleight of hand. Just brute force cutting and assembling.....

Steve
Brock

Post by Brock »

Steve Immerman wrote:
Kathie Karancz wrote:So can you just tell me about the sides of your "Rainforest" piece??? The pale green in the middle - is that just thin pattern bars that you made??? How did you get such a thin sliver of pale green in between the dark green???
The border is made of about 500 pieces of glass. Each section of the border has a "sandwich" of dark green - light green-dark green; with a vertical piece of black in between each sandwich. No pattern bars, tricks, or sleight of hand. Just brute force cutting and assembling.....

Steve
Yeah, and a great design, and an amazing amount of technical skill and patience.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Steve: I am blown away..... 500 pieces for the border..... WOW..... When I looked at the original picture, the pale green looked a lot thinner than the darker green around it so I couldn't figure out how it was made. Anyways, you definitely made my week. Hopefully one day I will be able to see that piece in person. I love it!!!!
Brock: so I must have definitely been sleeping through my workshop, cuz I definitely am not making works of art like Steve. One day, one day.....
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Brock

Post by Brock »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Steve: I am blown away..... 500 pieces for the border..... WOW..... When I looked at the original picture, the pale green looked a lot thinner than the darker green around it so I couldn't figure out how it was made. Anyways, you definitely made my week. Hopefully one day I will be able to see that piece in person. I love it!!!!
Brock: so I must have definitely been sleeping through my workshop, cuz I definitely am not making works of art like Steve. One day, one day.....
Hey Kathy,

Well, you just got our abbreviated course didn't you? See, if you had taken the whole course, you'd be rich and famous by now.

Avery and I have been incredibly lucky in the quality of students we have had. Steve, Phil, Jackie, Amy, Cindy, Jim Robbins, Dick Ditore, Cynthia Oliver, and that's just from one workshop, Sorry folks, I have definitely missed naming many other great students, but I just can't list them all. You know who you are. Brock
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Brock: ahhhhhhh, I think you just may see me back again then. I didn't think of that. I know you guys said that you had to squeeze a lot in in 3 days (I took the one at the first BE conference). I know I was fairly new too at fusing so there was just soooo much to take in. I will check out your Course times and see if I can squeeze one in again this year. I want to be famous too.... [-o< Hopefully you have updated the site on the Board, if not, please send dates and places.
Thanks a lot
K
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Brock

Post by Brock »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Brock: ahhhhhhh, I think you just may see me back again then. I didn't think of that. I know you guys said that you had to squeeze a lot in in 3 days (I took the one at the first BE conference). I know I was fairly new too at fusing so there was just soooo much to take in. I will check out your Course times and see if I can squeeze one in again this year. I want to be famous too.... [-o< Hopefully you have updated the site on the Board, if not, please send dates and places.
Thanks a lot
K
Check out Avery's site: http://www.averyanderson.com

For the best equipped studio in North America, come to Vitrum (Sept.)

For a interesting experience come to Arrowmont. (Aug.)

For the best deal for you, pricewise, come to NWAG. (May)

Brock
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Thanks - see you somewhere out there.
k
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Avery and I have been incredibly lucky in the quality of students we have had. Steve, Phil, Jackie, Amy, Cindy, Jim Robbins, Dick Ditore, Cynthia Oliver, and that's just from one workshop, Sorry folks, I have definitely missed naming many other great students, but I just can't list them all. You know who you are. Brock
I don't think it's luck, Brock. You and Avery are fabulous. When it's on - it's really on, and the workshop you speak of was particularly magical for all of us. Something just clicked and we fed off eachothers creativity and energy. Either that, or it was something in the cream cheese.
Brock

Post by Brock »

I don't think it's luck, Brock. You and Avery are fabulous. When it's on - it's really on, and the workshop you speak of was particularly magical for all of us. Something just clicked and we fed off eachothers creativity and energy. Either that, or it was something in the cream cheese.

I think it was the coffee, I am always inspired when I levitate, but . . .

this thread is about Steve's work and I think it's fabulous. Brock
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

but . . .

this thread is about Steve's work and I think it's fabulous. Brock
Me too.
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Fabulous piece, Steve. Really appealing color, design, shape, finish. It evokes memories of the Australian rainforest I saw last summer.

I was wondering where you found the nice, long arbor and lathe pictured in the calendar. Is it home-made (adapted) from other equipment?

Nikki
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Nikki O'Neill wrote:I was wondering where you found the nice, long arbor and lathe pictured in the calendar Nikki
Hi Nikki,

Dan at Covington Engineering made it for me. Steve Klein told me about this machine. If you call Dan he'll make you one, it's not in the catalogue. Costs about $1000. Just ask for the lathe he made for Steve Klein. When I ordered mine he was in the process of making three of them, so he'll know what you're talking about.

Steve
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Thanks for the info. Steve talked a little about his lathe in the class I took from him. Didn't know it was the same piece of equipment.
BTW I got to see some of Steve K's work in Pismo gallery in both their Beaver Creek and Vail locations last week. The gallery owners spoke very highly of Steve and his work. Also on display were beautiful pieces by Doug Randall, so I got to see up close the beautifully sculpted battuto finish he puts on some of his pieces. One gallery owner spent over an hour talking with me about collectors and kiln-formed class from a gallery perspective. Doc...your work would fit right in.

Nikki
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Doc Steve is just the best guy! Listen to this - (ok, well, read this)

I just got done with a week long slumber-party with my best girlfriend since the fifth grade. (Now are kids are almost as old as we were when we met! :shock: ) She had flown out from Chicago and I just returned home from taking her to the airport. I was in the midst of a sniffly little pity-party, sad and teary-eyed 'cause my friend left, there was this little box at my door. . . with this inside:

Thank you so much Steve - I didn't think anything could cheer me up today. You are truly the sweetest thing - I simply adore you.
[/img]
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Geez I wish I was Steve's friend!!!!!! :cry:
-A
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:Geez I wish I was Steve's friend!!!!!! :cry:
-A
He's an awfully good friend to have - with or without the gifts, he's a gem!