First posting

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Roderick Sulte

First posting

Post by Roderick Sulte »

Hello - I've also been lurking for a while and finally got the nerve to post. I gradually got into glass fusing last year - I'm definately just a beginner but am having a lot of fun. Quite a few "accidents" too but so far have not burned or killed anyone! :) I've only done a few things but I have plans for so much more! Any, please take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

http://home.earthlink.net/~rod.sulte/id1.html
Jason Boebinger

insight on the finger print

Post by Jason Boebinger »

how?
Cher

Post by Cher »

Been busy! Your "thumbprint" is verrrrrrryyyyy interesting! Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
>^..^<
Roderick Sulte

Post by Roderick Sulte »

Hi, The Thumbprint is just fine frit "painted" on a disk of clear using watered down Elmer's and then fused. I used to doodle "thumbprints" when I was a kid in school so I tried the same thing with frit. Sort of a poor man's combing.

Thanks for looking!
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Roderick,

I like your bar tiles...very cool.

Susan
shesjustalittletwisted

Post by shesjustalittletwisted »

I really like your noodle bowl. Looks like it was fun to make.
Love the thumbprint color contrast.

Your site is nice ~ enjoyed (and envy) your work space.
I currently use the kitchen counter.....it works but I crave more space.
Think I cook more glass than I do food!
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Roderick: Your doing great for only one year!!!! My favorite is the wheel. I like the way you just staggered the small square pieces and the way they are positioned. I also think you did a good job with your website.
Keep up the good work \:D/
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Roderick Sulte

Post by Roderick Sulte »

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragment - this group is so supportive. The talent I've seen here is just amazing, truly inspiring and just makes you want to run out and start another project!

Rod
korenfish

Post by korenfish »

Really nice stuff! Very impressed with the thumprint and the bar tiles. Take some pictures when you use them.

What did you use to finish your pieces? Their edges look so nice.
Katia T.

Re: First posting

Post by Katia T. »

Roderick Sulte wrote:I gradually got into glass fusing last year - I'm definately just a beginner but am having a lot of fun.
Well I´m still a beginner, but it´s amazing that you did this so beautiful pieces with so little time of experience!
Congratulations, I loved your work
Katia
Roderick Sulte

Post by Roderick Sulte »

The best thing I did was get Brad Walker's book on warm glass. It really does an excellent job of taking you through beginner's steps (like the glass coasters project!). Now I can't wait to try some of the more advanced stuff like pot melts (once I get up the nerve, that is!).

I didn't do a whole lot to finish the bowls, just tried to grind the edges till they were more or less round by eyeballing it, then fire polished. One of the things I want to work on is doing cold working and see what kind of effects I can get with that.

Thanks for looking and the kind comments. I've got another bowl ready to slump today in my one and only mold. I want to get a more rounded bottom but I haven't found a decent wok in my thirft store searches - but I know there's one out there with my name on it!
charlie

Post by charlie »

Roderick Sulte wrote:I want to get a more rounded bottom but I haven't found a decent wok in my thirft store searches - but I know there's one out there with my name on it!
try a restaurant supply store. the one i go to has about 5 different sizes, from 12" to 36".

kiln wash the heck out of it. it will spall badly whereever you miss.