Share Painting Photos?

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Bert Weiss wrote:
Brock wrote:... Their (Paradise) color selection is limited relative to the Ferro enamels, I use. . . . Bert

But unlimited, nevertheless, as you mix the colours to make the hues you want, just like oil paints. Brock
Yes and no. Some colors are just not made by mixing, especially when you are dealing with metallic oxides, like gold for instance.
Clearly, to get a metallic, you need a metallic paint.

And...

The limited colors is part of the beauty of the Paradise Paints. I have never used any others...well, Thompson's, but I hated them...so this isn't a "one is better than the other" statement on my part. Just that since the primary colors offered by Paradise Paints are about as close to true as one can get, you can mix any color you need with a high degree of success. In additon to the primary colors, they provide a black - hard to mix a good black; a green - also hard to mix; and a couple of whites...one for tone and one for tint. If you want to mix your own colors, you only need to invest in a few paints which makes this a very affordable option. Because they mix like oils, they are very simple to use.

With many of the others it seems that the primary colors lean away from being a pure primary. Also that they don't mix like pure pigment, so red and blue don't necessarily make violet so it makes it necessary to buy a violet rather than making your own.

Obviously there are benefits to either paint. I prefer to be able to create my own colors, but I am not painting with transparency in mind. I am comfortable with oils, so am comfortable with the PP's having those characteristics.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

You guys areen't getting what I meant. Metallic oxides are the chemicals that make all of the colors. I'm not talking about colors that look like metals. For instance there is gold used to make several colors in the red and purple ranges. The colors that result from these formulas are impossible to get by mixing red and blue primary colors. There are a lot of colors that are in this category. When you heat enamels it is a different ball game than mixing oil paints, except of course, when it is the same.

There are many redeeming factors to both systems.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Bert Weiss wrote:You guys aren't getting what I meant. Metallic oxides are the chemicals that make all of the colors. I'm not talking about colors that look like metals. For instance there is gold used to make several colors in the red and purple ranges. The colors that result from these formulas are impossible to get by mixing red and blue primary colors. There are a lot of colors that are in this category. When you heat enamels it is a different ball game than mixing oil paints, except of course, when it is the same.

There are many redeeming factors to both systems.
Slap me stupid. #-o Yep. I missed that one altogether...but your point is the same point (for the most part) I was trying to make with this statement...
Cynthia wrote:...they (other enamels besides Paradise) don't mix like pure pigment, so red and blue don't necessarily make violet which makes it necessary to buy a violet rather than making your own.
I will argue that you can get any color by mixing with the primary colors offerd by Paradise Paints. I too was trying to point out that they (different emamels, stains, what have you) all have pro's and con's...that your purposes will determine which you will need or chose to work with. I was simply trying to reiterate that the limited pallete of the Paradise Paints isn't limited in the least because they mix like oil paint. The applications? Yes. But not the pallete. They aren't transparent, yet they are like oils in that yellow and blue do make green and you can apply color theory to these paints.

Thanks for clearing up what I misunderstood you to mean.
Dani

Post by Dani »

Brock wrote:Keep repeating.... with endless patience. 'Tis the hallmark of a good teacher.

Patience is good, but it won't necessarily get your point across. If a teacher gives a demo, or a lecture, or merely tosses some pearls, and the whole class, but one, gets it, you know where you have to put some extra effort.

Unfortunately, people take classes for many reasons, a lot of them having nothing to do with amassing knowledge or technique. In those cases, patience won't make a difference.

There seems to be this misconception that anything other than total success by every student, is always solely the teacher's fault.

NAY, I SAY!!

I think that the next time we get one of those assess the teacher threads, I'll start one on students. That should go on for a while! I have a million stories myself. Brock
A good teacher continues to cast pearls at swine. When that becomes too boring or frustrating, it's time to retire from teaching. Just my pompous opining, of course...... I'd say there are a good number of folks who call themselves teachers who would disagree with me.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Dani wrote:
Brock wrote:Keep repeating.... with endless patience. 'Tis the hallmark of a good teacher.

Patience is good, but it won't necessarily get your point across. If a teacher gives a demo, or a lecture, or merely tosses some pearls, and the whole class, but one, gets it, you know where you have to put some extra effort.

Unfortunately, people take classes for many reasons, a lot of them having nothing to do with amassing knowledge or technique. In those cases, patience won't make a difference.

There seems to be this misconception that anything other than total success by every student, is always solely the teacher's fault.

NAY, I SAY!!

I think that the next time we get one of those assess the teacher threads, I'll start one on students. That should go on for a while! I have a million stories myself. Brock
A good teacher continues to cast pearls at swine. When that becomes too boring or frustrating, it's time to retire from teaching. Just my pompous opining, of course...... I'd say there are a good number of folks who call themselves teachers who would disagree with me.
Tell ya what Dani . . . I'll stop teaching when all the schools and studios and events quit asking me, (us) and the classes stop mainly selling out. Normally, there are waiting lists. And on, and on . . .Word of mouth and repeat customers are the best evaluation, and we have those in spades.

Frankly, I think satisfied students are calling me (us) a teacher. I don't have to. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
dee

Post by dee »

NAY, I SAY!!

my husband has, since early '98, taught a datamodelin sw that he used to use in his previous jobs. many times he would complain about having a class full of lumps on a log, other times he gets a really dynamic group of people, some weeks he has some very trying students who don't understand the basic concept of working on programs in a windows environment or who lack the stated prerequisites for the class. each student is expected to fill out an eval form at the end of the class. for a few years these were paper forms and several times when he had a particularly apathetic or irritating class who then gave him a poor rating - he averages a 95% rating each year - he has added his own comments on these classes. he also has been blamed for poor facilities, usually when teaching onsite for a client. :? teaching is a 2 way street, the student will only get out of any class what the student is willing to put in but every instructor will have some great students. arno loves teaching but doesn't necessarily enjoy every class

so assess way o' great white north glass guru :)
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

teaching is a 2 way street, the student will only get out of any class what the student is willing to put in but every instructor will have some great students. arno loves teaching but doesn't necessarily enjoy every class

You said a mouthful!

so assess way o' great white north glass guru
D

Hmmmm . . . not yet. Brock
dee

Post by dee »

Brock wrote:teaching is a 2 way street, the student will only get out of any class what the student is willing to put in but every instructor will have some great students. arno loves teaching but doesn't necessarily enjoy every class

You said a mouthful!

so assess way o' great white north glass guru
D

Hmmmm . . . not yet. Brock
LOLOL not quite ready to stir up that particular hornet's nest eh?
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Vic

Post by Vic »

This is a little off topic at this point in the discussion. Reyntiens fabricated for John Piper. Check out "John Piper and Stained Glass" by June Osborne.
Brock

Post by Brock »

[quote="Vic"]This is a little off topic at this point in the discussion. Reyntiens fabricated for John Piper. Check out "John Piper and Stained Glass" by June Osborne.[/quote

True Vic, but a hell of a lot more besides. Brock
http://www.ampleforth.org.uk/OANews/htm ... graphy.htm
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I made another mistake on the painting credits I posted here they are: Sharon Geraci, Karin (SP?) Groth, Deborah Bouchette, and Jennifer Lavigne. I fixed the posting to read correctly. Sorry Jennifer.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

the definitive work on Harry Clarke quite a difficult read but one to dip in and out of: The life and work of Harry Clarke by Nicola Gordon Bowe. Isbn 0-7165-2452-X