Signatures on frit cast pieces

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jody Walker

Signatures on frit cast pieces

Post by Jody Walker »

I've been frit casting pieces with alot of texture in them, so I am having a problem signing them. I was etching the signature, but that isn't working. Any ideas?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Work it into the casting? Have it a part of the mold. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Jody Walker

Post by Jody Walker »

Can't, there is too much texture to do that- any other suggestions?
Brock

Post by Brock »

A signature murrini? Make little signature canes, pull 'em out, slice and add to mold. Brock
Jody Walker

Post by Jody Walker »

That has been my only thought as well and may be the best solution. I was just concerned about how that looks within some pieces. So I was hoping there was a possibility that wasn't quite as obvious, to hide in the piece or on the back. Thanks so far, but do you have any other great ideas?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Not really, just a variation. Make a "chop" a symbol representing you, the entity of Jody. It could be very simple, or ornate, but it should be distinctive. Same old process, fuse up a bar, pull out in the glory hole, slice, and, when the casting is done, drop one of the slices on the hot glass surface, which will be the back. Brock
Jody Walker

Post by Jody Walker »

Thanks Brock for all your help. I was hoping for another solution, but that is probably going to be the best way to go.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

if it's to be on the back, and the back isn't heavily textured, maybe a fired-on decal would work. you can have them made in any single color, color combination, plus metallics, by Wise Silkscreen, in Ohio. there are probably other companies, too. you provide the camera-ready artwork, they print 'em up, sell 'em by the sheet. you could get quite a few chops on one sheet; cut one off the sheet for every bowl. Wise's phone number is (937) 223-1573. they make decals for glass and ceramics. i found out about them from an ad in some mag like Ceramics Monthly. they'll send you some samples of overruns, and you can fire all or part of one onto some scrap glass and see what it looks like. i cut out the part from a military decal that was supposed to be gold, so that's how i know what it fires up to look like. give 'em a ring and ask them to send you the info, price sheet and a few scrap samples. it might be just the thing you need for your signature chop. kitty.
Terry Ow-Wing

Re: Signatures on frit cast pieces

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

Is there a bottom to the piece that is flat? Can you sign on the bottom? Or is the whole thing very sculptural having no flat surfaces -and is mounted by a stand?
Jody Walker wrote:I've been frit casting pieces with alot of texture in them, so I am having a problem signing them. I was etching the signature, but that isn't working. Any ideas?
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
Jody Walker

Post by Jody Walker »

You name it! I am doing sculptural pieces with no real bottom except an 1/8th of an inch that goes in the stand, bowls in which the bottom, both inside and outside are part of the design, and pieces which lay somewhat flat. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Brock

Post by Brock »

Sign the stand! Brock
Jody Walker

Post by Jody Walker »

How obvious! What was I thinking?!
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

Brock wrote:Sign the stand! Brock
On my gass portraits I sign the frame with the name of the piece in gold pen with my name and date. On the glass itself I actually just sign my initials with the date. Someone pointed out to me that if for some reason the frame is replaced or whatever reason the frame get removed from the artwork that I would not have a signiture if I only signed the frame. In your case I would think it highly improbable that the stand would be removed from the artwork - but just something to think about.

Now how about some pics??
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com