shell inclusions

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

carolrosenblatt

shell inclusions

Post by carolrosenblatt »

I've done an experiment with bullseye frit 1101clear and seashells. The piece broke apart within 30 minutes of cooling it. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Carol
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Did you try to fuse the seashells within the glass or something else? (If that's what you did, then I suspect some incompatibility issues.)

A detailed firing schedule, as well as a description of exactly how the piece was configured, would help.
carolrosenblatt

Post by carolrosenblatt »

Dear Brad, sorry it took so long for me to get back to the Board. I am living, right now, at the beach in Costa Rica, and we' re experiencing telephone line difficulty. I tried to encase the sea shells with frit in a small frit casting square mold. It was five inches by five inches. The firing schedule was as follows: 1-400 degrees to 1000. No. 2: 75 degrees TO1250 No. 3: as fast as possible to 1500 degrees. Hold time 40 minutes. No. 4 as fast as possible to 960 degrees. Hold time for 30 minutes. No.: 5: 100 degrees to 750 degrees. Hold time 30 minutes No. 6: 100 degrees to 400. Has anyone have any success with the shells. Is it possible that it might go better with spectrum glass because of its formula. The piece broke apart on removal from kiln. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, Carol