Anybody cast with Gabbert lead cullet?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Steph Mader

Anybody cast with Gabbert lead cullet?

Post by Steph Mader »

Does anyone cast with Gabbert's lead cullet? They say that the COE is
91-ish, and that the anneal temp is around 927.3. So, I have a couple questions. Do you use commercial colors with this cullet? If the anneal temp is 927, where's the melt temp, approximately?

Anything else I should know about its characteristics?

Thanks,
Steph
watershed

Post by watershed »

I'm still learning it, but here goes. It's got a nice finish, no noticable de-vit, even without kiln crashing. You could cast it around 14 if you're patient, 15 is fine. I've been working on flower pots and larger scale (15-40lbs). More pot holes, slow charge of pots, plan on all day.

If you are neater than I, then you will get fewer bubbles etc. Not sure about Pate de verre. The pieces just came out and are still around 300degF. Will be able to tell more tommorrow.

No Idea about mixing anything in. I'm still working on getting results, Period, much less coloring.

I'm talking G-12, not sure if they have others.

Greg
Steph Mader

Gabbert cullet

Post by Steph Mader »

I don't show the G12 on my price list. Is it the 24% lead cullet listed as FHC?

I'm melting Lenox lead crystal at 1550, I just wanted to make sure that would be high enough for this other cullet. Above that point, the molds really start to break down. The nice thing about the low melt point of Lenox is that it gets good & soft at 1550 to fill a lot of detail in the mold. Its anneal temp is 826. So when I saw that Gabbert's anneal temp is 925, I wondered if I'd have to take the glass higher to get the same kind of melt as the Lenox.

Also, there are colors listed on the price list. Do you know if these are colored cullet or glass colors to add to the cullet?
Carol Craiglow

Post by Carol Craiglow »

Steph...I cast with BE cullet with an anneal temp of 960 and take all my castings to 1520, so I would infer that the Gaffer with an anneal temp of 925 would do fine in the 1520 to 1550 range, altho I have not cast with it yet. Someone is sending me some Gaffer for a commission, so maybe I'll know more then. Also, have you checked with your Gaffer distributor for details re casting? They should have the appropriate info. Just a thought.

Carol
Bob L Workshop - Take Two
June 10-11-12
Santa Fe NM
http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10420
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

Thanks Carol, that's interesting to know about the Bullseye. I'd love it if the glass is really moving around 1550.

I am wanting to know about the cullet from Gabbert, I guess they buy from various shops and then resell. The Gaffer you're referring to I've used before, and it is beauuuuutiful. But unfortunately it's not in my budget.

By the way, I was just looking at your web page, your work is wonderful. You're working pretty big, aren't you? With those large open-faced casts, what is the program you use to bring the temp down? I cast mostly vessels, and they are less tricky than the open-faced molds.

Steph
watershed

Post by watershed »

Not sure because I still don't have a price list. I Dropped in, "Hi I want some glass"

It could be gb12. But the amazing thing to me, was the texture. I could reach into the barrrel of cullet and not get bit. I still reach bare handed into the barrel. You hear about Soft glass, but this IS soft.

Clarifications:
Gabbert is almost exclusively Fenton Cullet. Many colors, but one source. That doesn't mean it will fit itself!!

Freindly people, but shipping is.... Problematic for some people.

If you are casting Vessels, try the New Blue. Some devit, but good thick thin contrast.

And don't you dare order a ton of new blue, I need to re-order, and I 'spect to have it filled.

If people get tired of this thread, you can e-mail me privately, and share the shipping/ travel costs.

AFAIK: The G-12 is the 24%. Lennox closed a long while ago. It's the only one they have.

If you are the Steph , who went to Salem college, then ... whooaaaa, , too strange for words, but stay in touch. Would be wayyyy toooo wierd. But that's my life.

I hope you are OK with responses here, instead of doubling them up with craftweb.

Greg
David Williams

Post by David Williams »

Hey FYI to you casters I got a new cullett product from John Kiley at Seattle Batch. Actually he prefers not to call it cullet at all since its not a by product but rather a cullet made from their batch formula in China. I haven't melted any so couldn't say how it would be for casting or if it would devit, other than to say its crystal clear with a good luster and 55cents a pound. 96 coe. It is formulated for blowing but might work for you.
watershed

Post by watershed »

Glad to know that it is now here. The rumors flew for quite a while.

Greg
Carol Craiglow

Post by Carol Craiglow »

Hi Steph...thanks for the compliment!

Right now my largest pieces are in the 2 ft range, but with my new kiln I'm going much bigger...up to 4 04 5 ft tall. Yay!!

Re the annealing schedule, I follow the annealing schedules that BE has developed for thicker work. May be available on their website, can't remember, but definitely is available on Henry Halem's site... http://www.glassnotes.com Don't remember the exact link, maybe just something like annealing schedules. Let me know if you can't find it and I can send you the link.

Do you have any photos of your work? How large are the vessels you are doing?

Carol
Bob L Workshop - Take Two
June 10-11-12
Santa Fe NM
http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10420
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

Carol,
I read your posts on the other board about your new big-_ _ _ kiln, how cool is that? Putting together a 4-foot piece is going to be exciting.

I just spent an embarassing amount of time trying to post a photo on the pics part of the board, but I'm going to need some tutoring. I'll let you know when I manage to get it on there.

Most of the vessels I'm doing are 8-10 inches in diameter, 10-11" tall. I long for the 4-foot vessel. One day, I'll be transformed into
Steffy Ben Tre.

Let us all know when you start the big stuff, that will be fun to see.

Steph