clay sticking in glass

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jerry keller

clay sticking in glass

Post by jerry keller »

I slumped a test piece of double strength glass, into a form, with a clay pot that was kiln washed in the middle of it. From a design point of view it works well, but.... the bottom of the pot stuck in the glass, and I'd llike to get it undone. Previously in situations like this I've tried water, oil, around the pot - and even ice cubes in the pot, to try to decrease its size. All with varying luck..
Any good suggestions will be appreciated. I'm sure putting fibre paper around the pot is the good way, but I am somewhat adverse to being around that material.
Nancy Juhasz

Re: clay sticking in glass

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Jerry you might have to break away the clay pot very carefully. I thought the rule was slump into clay and over stainless because of the expansion contraction. I could be wrong on this one. That clay pot might be just to tight to come off. I sure would try filling the pot with ice and putting the glass in warm not how water and see if it will contract and expand just enough to get it apart. Good luck. Nanc
Toni Johnson

Re: clay sticking in glass

Post by Toni Johnson »

Put it back in the kiln and heat it up. Start trying to remove it at 500 or so and then check every so often until you can pull it off. Don't forget to re-anneal, depending on how high you end up having to go.