Amy . . .

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Brock

Amy . . .

Post by Brock »

. . . whaddya been doin'? Got any pics of new work? Brock
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Me? Um, I have some newer work on my web site. I don't know how to post here, so here's a link http://www.750studios.com I'm going to be taking some pics tomorrow if it's cloudy outside.

Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

Nice! I really like Sincricity. You have great titles. Brock
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Thanks, that piece has spawned a whole new series. The next one is about half done, just like about 10 other pieces in my studio. hahaha Some pieces just need to rest until they feel like being finished, ya know?

As for titles, ha, I like to make words up.

Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . .Some pieces just need to rest until they feel like being finished, ya know? . . .

You bet!

In the last two years I have worked on pieces first made in 1984 and 1986. They're done when we SAY they're done. Brock
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Actually the piece I'm going to photograph tomorrow is a re-mount of one that's on my site. "Covenant between the Coral and the Sea" I think it's much more successful now. It's mounted on a big piece of Jade. That happens alot with me, I re-mount stuff and cut stuff up to make different pieces. I did that with my paintings too. Painted over old ones that weren't so successful.

Amy
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Amy

I've been following your new pieces on your web site for a while. Nice work.

Just curious if you are doing your own mounting for each piece? Hard to tell what they are made of, steel and brazed?

Ron
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Yes Ron, I'm doing them myself. I use brass rod/stock and sliver solder them together with an oxy/acytlene torch. Then I paint them; I've tried to powder coat them but I need a part to increase the voltage so the powder gets into all the corners better. So regular spray paint is it for now.

Amy
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Classy looking for sure.

I like the attention to detail.

Brass, silversolder and glass, honest materials. :wink:

Ron
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Yeah, they are alright. I continue to struggle with the "marriage" but hey you're not an artist without suffering right?! hahaha

Amy
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

I think they work well with the glass Amy. There is something about metal and glass that just fit together. There has to be a balance of volume, but the two go with each other in my mind. Stone and glass also work.

The material I have problems with is my favorite, WOOD. For some reason in my mind it just doesn't work with glass, and I'm a woodworker. I can honestly say I've seen very few pieces of glass and wood together that work for me.

In most cases it's the volume of wood needed for support or whatever that overpowers the work. It could also be the grain of wood just conflicts with the glass. Not sure what the problem is, but I'd sure like to solve it.

Frustrated woodworker
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Yeah I know what you mean. Stone is the same way, you need to pick the right piece of stone that has just the right amount of color and texture. I've also tried to work with wood. I plained down some of the old growth joists from my house. Beautiful doug fir, wonderful grain and color, but it just didn't work with the glass. Your ebony handle is great on my box, I just love it. Maybe the answer is there.

Keep looking, and I think frustration is key.

Amy
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Yes the ebony works with glass, must be the lack of contrasting colors and grain that does it. Just a nice uniform black.

Ron
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

plus the handle has been minimized... it's just a touch of ebony... now where's the ivory? :-k

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Ooooo, ivory very bad! Imitation ivory. :)

Amy
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Tony Smith wrote:plus the handle has been minimized... it's just a touch of ebony... now where's the ivory? :-k

Tony
Hummmmm, fossil mammoth ivory. that would look good. Give it the aged look for sure.

http://www.coastivory.com/mammoth1.htm

Ron
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Vegetable ivory too.
http://www.tagua2go.com/

And old bones.

Ron
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

inlaid into the ebony... ooooohhhhhhh =P~

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Brock wrote:Nice! I really like Sincricity. You have great titles. Brock
This is my new favorite too Amy - Love the Fr Van strips with the high fire - good colors too! And the stand is super with it. Great job! I'm not surprised. Your work has done nothing but get more beautiful with each piece.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Thanks Jackie. This piece has been a launching point for me to explore some of the elements of 3 D art. I have about 5 sculptures in my head that i want to do this year. I have to get crackin'! hahahaha

Amy