clam shell kilns

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Goldfinger

clam shell kilns

Post by Goldfinger »

After doing some research, I have come to the conclusion that a clam shell kiln is my best option. The only problem is I can't find one that operates on 120 v. I wanted something that has an 8"by 8" to 10" by 10"
shelf size. Is anyone aware of some obscure manufacturer where this can be purchased? Or am I out of luck?
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

I don't think anybody makes a clamshell this small. I doubt anybody even makes a kiln this small with elements in the lid. The distance from the walls to the center is so short that heat is not that uneven. It is easy to adjust for any uneven heat in a small kiln by adjusting your schedule or layout.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

While there are a number of kilns this small with elements in the lid, none of them are clamshell kilns.

Which feature of the clamshell appeals to you -- the fiber construction or the way the lid opens? There are very few (if any) 110 volt fiber kilns, but you can find some small kilns that are hinged at bottom like a clamshell (rather than at top like a box).
Goldfinger

clam shell kilns

Post by Goldfinger »

Brad: I am looking for small kilns that hinge at the bottom.

Steve
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: clam shell kilns

Post by Brad Walker »

Steve Eshbaugh wrote:Brad: I am looking for small kilns that hinge at the bottom.
The only major kiln manufacturer I'm aware of that makes a small glass kiln with a hinge at the bottom (this is a brick kiln) is Olympic. Most of their kilns are available with a hinge at the top, a hinge at the bottom, or both. Their glass kilns are here: http://www.kilns-kilns.com/GlassFusingKilns.htm
elin

Post by elin »

Hi, I just saw this thread, and thought I would add a bit of info....

We make small clamshell table-top kilns for fusing, as well as beader kilns... and since no one else has come up with any suggestions, I thought I would jump in. They are fiber kilns, clam style, with top elements (quartz encased), and digital controllers.

Check out the FuseBox 100-- it is a 220VAC kiln that would fit a 12" x 12" shelf, but it could be made as a 110. It may heat a bit slower than the 220 version, but these kilns tend to heat very quickly, and it still may go faster than a brick kiln. The FB50, however, is 110VAC, standard. It is a hair small for an 8" x 8" shelf-- we reccommend 7.5" x 12" for it, so that there is enough heat circulation.

Anyway, check it out.
-elin
elin@ekmillerco.com
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Steve, what kind of casting you have in mind?
My kiln is 16" high and I find it restrictive.
2" air space below the shelf, 8" mold and not enough height for a flowerpot.

My next casting kiln will be narrow and 3' HIGH !
-lauri