Drip Casting into fiber board molds???

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Gale aka artistefem

Drip Casting into fiber board molds???

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Has anyone tried layering up carved out fiber board, pinning the layers in place and frit or potmelt casting into the board? I'm looking at molds 6 to 8" deep - or deeper.

I'm getting ready to do some R&D with this idea - any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks.
dan

Post by dan »

i tried messing about with this kind of idea a year or so ago,but havent had chance to take the experiments as far as i would like 2.the results were v. interesting tho.melting thru several appertures using mixed colours was a good1 as u can control where the coloured spirals r gonna land.also different shaped appetures.since the glass kind of pours into the mold i got some real nice bubble free clear castings(using float) with just the faintest sugestion of where the glass had folded in on itself.
come to think of it im finding it hard 2 remember exacty what happened in all those exp. not 2 mention how 2 describe them,let us know what ur results r and hopefully i might b able to re spark my interest and continue down the same line of investigation :D
probably wasnt much help there,dan
dan.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i wonder about flashings where the layers come togrther. maybe a layer/line of dry plaster or aluminum hydrate around the edges before you stack and pin . then it would compress into a sort of gasket. i have not done this yet, but it is a way i will try when i do. rosanna
Bert Weiss

Re: Drip Casting into fiber board molds???

Post by Bert Weiss »

Gale aka artistefem wrote:Has anyone tried layering up carved out fiber board, pinning the layers in place and frit or potmelt casting into the board? I'm looking at molds 6 to 8" deep - or deeper.

I'm getting ready to do some R&D with this idea - any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks.
Gale

I'm not exactly sure that I understand what you are attemting.

I did some clear BE frit casting 1/4" thick inside a fiber dam with a carved fiber base. No rigidizer or kiln wash. It worked pretty well except that the edges were rough and needed a grind and polish. Temp control is key to the finished look.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Promosing ideas here!
6 to 8" glass has a remarkable hydraulic preassure.
I think some flashing is inevitabe, andif it happens,
the preassure may lift the upper layers to float on glass.

Woth of thinking further.
Roseanna's tip to cast or model an inner mold in a
fiber blanket saggar is great.
If I take a 3/4 to 1" board, make a box of it
titching the corners with thin kanthal
it is a marvelous mold box. After casting the mold,
The bottom is sewed in place.
Then I would torn the mould upside down
and remove the clay original.

NOT TRIED YET, it will take several weeks
before I get my fingers on a proper fiber board.

-lauri
Petra Kaiser

Post by Petra Kaiser »

HI Gale,

try to use iridescent glass on the sides toward the board so you will get a nice finished look.

For an 8" high piece, stack 9 to 10 pieces of 1" Fiber board (try Kaiser Lee Board :oops: ) so you can load it higher, glass will shrink in the process. KLB does not need any mold hardener or prefiring, it does not warp and is very even, so you will be able to stack it without any problems. I have seen glass seeping under other 'warped' fiber board, but not under KLB.

hope this will help your project, good luck
petra kaiser
petra kaiser, florida,

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it" -Salvador Dali-

specialized in kiln forming with Kaiser Lee Board since 1998
http://www.kaiserlee.com
Delores Taylor

Post by Delores Taylor »

Gale aka artistefem wrote:Has anyone tried layering up carved out fiber board, pinning the layers in place and frit or potmelt casting into the board? I'm looking at molds 6 to 8" deep - or deeper.

Thanks.
Hi Gale sounds like a fun project worth a test but think I agree with the others it's too much weight and will cause lifting and flashing. Why not go with clay model then a plaster/silica/modifer(fiberglass or vermiculite) mold. It's a bit more cold work but far safer bet. That's alot of weight and might cause you problems. Best wishes got to get to work.
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Delores wrote:
Gale aka artistefem wrote: Why not go with clay model then a plaster/silica/modifer(fiberglass or vermiculite) mold. It's a bit more cold work but far safer bet.
I've done this.... works well.
barbara
Barbara Bader
barbarak

Post by barbarak »

Petra -
Where is a good place to get Kaiser Lee Board??
Thank you.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

bar^bar^a wrote:Petra -
Where is a good place to get Kaiser Lee Board??
Well, given that Petra's full name is Petra Kaiser Lee, I suspect she can suggest a place to buy the board. :lol:

Try her website for a list of distributors: http://www.kaiser-lee-glass-art.com/_wsn/page3.html
barbarak

Post by barbarak »

:oops: Hmmm - little did I know! Thanks - I'll check it out.
Barbara
elizglass

Post by elizglass »

Hi Gale,
My 2 cents: I have used HD board, and layered 8 sheets of glass, also used it for stacking 2-3 inch tall strips on edge and casting. I use drywall screws to hold the board in place. The best way I've found to prevent flashing on top edges is to not put the mold edges directly in contact with the glass. The glass heats up and flows out to the edge, rather than catching on it. Sounds like you want to do a crucible drip into the board though, which I can't see why it would be any different- should work fine! If you are trying to go 8 inches deep, then I'd put a damn of shelve pcs around the mould too.
Liz