Pot Melting

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

linn keller

Re: Pot Melting

Post by linn keller »

terri,
you can get a workable stainless steel mesh in the grilling accessories section at most home depot/lowe's type stores. you should be able to find vegetable and fish grilling baskets, with different size meshes. the fish grill has 2 baskets, so you get a 2-fer, or you can even stack them (the look will vary widely depending on the size of the grid). this is the perfect time of year to find them because the shelves are stocked for the outdoor grilling season almost anywhere in the country - in the middle of winter, there may not be any at lowe's or home depot, but the housewares section at marshall's has a good selection (at least down here).
the thing to really be careful about is making sure the one(s) you get are really stainless, not something that just looks like stainless.
have fun,
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

I bought my "wire cloth" here: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Wire-C ... Pid=search

I used SS wire and wired the "cloth" to one of the 14 different size rings a wonderful welder made me. I used a 12 in ring.
I then flipped it over so the 1 inch walls from the ring kept the glass in place. Raised this up and..
I put down another ring 14 inch that was lined.

I highly recommend you buy more than 12x12 when you order ..if you do from Grainger

ST
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

linn keller wrote:terri,
you can get a workable stainless steel mesh in the grilling accessories section at most home depot/lowe's type stores. you should be able to find vegetable and fish grilling baskets, with different size meshes. the fish grill has 2 baskets, so you get a 2-fer, or you can even stack them (the look will vary widely depending on the size of the grid). this is the perfect time of year to find them because the shelves are stocked for the outdoor grilling season almost anywhere in the country - in the middle of winter, there may not be any at lowe's or home depot, but the housewares section at marshall's has a good selection (at least down here).
the thing to really be careful about is making sure the one(s) you get are really stainless, not something that just looks like stainless.
have fun,
linn
The other thing to watch out for with kitchen stainless is the gauge of those wires and how they are attached to the frame. I've had the welds break out of one, so that a couple of wires embedded themselves in the glass below.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Great info guys!!! Thanks! I'll check home depot!! I love the idea of the mesh attached to the ring! Brilliant!This is why I love this board!! You are such a wealth of knowledge!! =D> Oh, can I melt onto a clear piece if glass with fiber paper under neath or will the clear move so much, the paper gets into the melt??
Terri
<'{{{{><
Brock

Post by Brock »

You don't even need FP. Pot melts onto clear bases are the best way to go.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Really? Great, thanks!! :D
Terri
<'{{{{><
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

When browsing the Grainger site, I saw they have stainless steel blanks. I have an ovation, and wondered if I got a large ss plate, if I could use it on top of my shelves to create one large shelf? I wanted to do some larger panels... also saw some ss rolls, those, I assume could be manipulated to make some slumping molds... how do you know if the ss grade is good enough for fusing or slumping? I know, 50 questions... sorry. :wink: thanks again!
Terri
<'{{{{><
Laurie Saukko

Post by Laurie Saukko »

I am not sure that any glass will get through a strainer. Go to a specialty metal supplier...you might request "grate" for heavier...or perforated, but be careful of the hole size...too small and you won't get anything or the colours might get so mixed up that it looks like mud. Expect that you will need to buy a half sheet (48x48) and that it will easily for over $250.00. In Calgary, you can go to Accurate Screen.