casting in a paragon caldera

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Chelseaglass

casting in a paragon caldera

Post by Chelseaglass »

I have been having fun casting small pieces in a Fusion 16 kiln using sand and kaolin clay--small pieces to use in jewelry. Due to the necessity of downsizing and needing portability of equipment I would like to know if it is possible to cast in a small Paragon Caldera kiln with the elements surrounding the sandmold perhaps this orientation is better...).

chelseaglass
Morganica

Re: casting in a paragon caldera

Post by Morganica »

It's possible to do anything...the right question is usually "is it worth it?" ;-)

Are you containing the sand or putting it directly on the floor of the kiln? The Caldera I'm familiar with is 8x8x6 inches or thereabouts, it runs on household (120) current, and its side element is about an inch off the floor of the kiln. Is that what you have?

You'd be size-limited, which probably isn't a problem for jewelry components, so you'd probably only get a couple of pieces from a single firing (not sure what you're used to getting now). And you might need a longer firing schedule. If you're pouring the sand on the bottom of the kiln and pressing models into it, you'd need to be really careful not to hit the elements in such a small space--containment would be better.

If you know someone who has a Caldera, I'd try it before committing the funds. But I don't see why it wouldn't work if you can accept the limitations.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Chelseaglass

Re: casting in a paragon caldera

Post by Chelseaglass »

Morganica,

I have been containing the sand/kaolin in the Fusion 16. Reading your reply, if I do this in a Caldera there will not be much space at all (I began fusing with frustration in an Evenheat Studio Box due to the element placement) and probably not worth it. I will have to find one to try as you suggest. Thanks.