SG Bevels for casting

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

S.TImmerman

SG Bevels for casting

Post by S.TImmerman »

I have many pounds of large weird shaped bevels (many from the same maker) and wonder if bevels are any different than non coe glass? Are they more consistent? Do makers of bevels use a consistent enough glass coe to melt these together?
Could I take one of the larger 1/4 inch ones and bust it up for a small casting?

If I can't use them to melt, could I say, use enamels on top of the shield ones that look like police badges ( not sure what use these had) fuse enamels on top and sandblast off the deign for a police badge for a friend. Would Thompson enamels work ok?

This board has been a life saver lately! Thank you for that!!

Sheree
bob proulx

Re: SG Bevels for casting

Post by bob proulx »

Hi Shereen, I would not cast these, even if they were made by the same company you can't guarantee the coe. I would sandblast and then paint them. I started using a product a while back for outdoor house numbers that I am very happy with ( Delta Permenamel). You paint the product on, let it air dry then put in an oven at 350 degrees. I have house numbers that have been outdoors for over two years and they still look great.
The link below has info and a color chart:
http://www.misterart.com/glass-tile-art ... erProducts
Bob
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Float glass is a commodity and you haven't a clue when or where the glass was manufactured. Fabricators I know tend to buy their glass from more than one source, so they don't get stuck when a particular glass is unavailable. If your bevels happen to be stained glass, this too is not reliable. Only tested compatible glass can be relied on. Blue glass made from a particular furnace in the morning could well not be compatible with blue glass made from that tank in the afternoon. Cooking time can volatilize ingredients and change compatibility characteristics.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Hi again Shereen. In the earlier post I made I gave the wrong info. The delta is air dry and works great. The paints you put in the oven are Pebeo Porcelaine paints.
http://www.misterart.com/glass-tile-art ... erProducts
Bob
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Thanks again Wess,

Bob, nice hearing from you! Thank you for the links! I defiantly try that! Our neighbor is the police capt and wanted to give him a nice gift.

Always
Shereen