enlarging a small etched block of glass to 2'x2'

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jerry keller

enlarging a small etched block of glass to 2'x2'

Post by jerry keller »

I have been contacted by an architect to look into creating a lobby piece for his client that would replicate the look of one of the small etched glass paperweights that are laser etched, but to become pretty large - about 24"x24". I was thinking of doing several different plates of glass, and etching some information on each plate, then stacking them in a box, to give the 3-D look of the small block of crystal.

Another thought was to cast an object that was desired, then to cut it into several pieces, and glue those pieces to plates of glass, so they would look like they are floating. I think this might give an interesting 3-D look, as the object would be dimensional to begin with, before being cut apart, and reassembled.

Any other ideas would be appreciated - its a puzzler, and this is the latest piece of the puzzle...
Morganica

Re: enlarging a small etched block of glass to 2'x2'

Post by Morganica »

Have you seen the work of Jeffrey Sarmiento?
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Tom Fuhrman

Re: enlarging a small etched block of glass to 2'x2'

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

order a 6"x6" or larger optical crystal cube from China and have it laser engraved inside. Then get optic clear or slabs of optical crystal and adhere them to the outside and build it up to make a large cube. Otherwise it will not get anywhere close to the look you're trying to achieve.
I did a large cube/diamond 48" square many years ago. It is just laid up and not adhered together. attached photo.
Attachments
006.jpg