re-firing floral former

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jerry keller

re-firing floral former

Post by jerry keller »

I have been experimenting with different floral formers, and the last ramp I tried, to 1355, was 5 degrees cooler than the one I usually use. My sheets of glass are 12" square. The vases were not quite as folded as I'd like. If I re-slump, would the first firing affect the temp of the second firing - i.e. should I just go to the same temp again, thinking its already somewhat formed, or should I go to the temp that I've enjoyed good results at - 1360?

In the past I've tried to re-slump bigger sheets that were formed, at a hotter temp, and they ended up with a crack.
Kevin Midgley

Re: re-firing floral former

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Floral formers are tough to use right.
I would not try refiring unless the piece is really open shaped.
The one thing you do not want is to have the folds of single thickness glass touch as they will be subject to breakage where they do as they will be tack fusings at those locations.
You also need a flat lap to make the bottoms of the vases flat enough to sit properly.
Forget about making them unless you have a bottom lapping method or are attaching them to a large anti tip over base.

This was a blast from the past and I certainly wasn't getting that much for them at the time.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1681902 ... ref=market