melted glass on stainless former

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jerry keller

melted glass on stainless former

Post by jerry keller »

I had a meltdown in the kiln, and have melted glass embedded on a stainless steel former. I tried to get it off by putting in a kiln to 900 degrees, then dropping it into water - a lot of the glass came off, but some remains. I do not want to sandblast it in my booth, as my grit is very fine and I don't want to contaminate it. I was wondering about other techniques to get it off, or also to spray a resist onto it, or kiln wash, and hope that the minor amount of glass still stuck to the surface will not be a problem, as i am just folding vases , not melting glass onto them.
Valerie Adams

Re: melted glass on stainless former

Post by Valerie Adams »

Do you have diamond hand pads? You may be able to sand it off that way.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Go to a wholesale restaurant supply and ask for a martini shaker. They cost a small fraction of a floral former from a glass supplier. I bought one from each and they were identical.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jerry keller

Post by jerry keller »

IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg (52.49 KiB) Viewed 12062 times
IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg (52.49 KiB) Viewed 12062 times
I also had a ceramic stand that the stainless steel former sat on that got covered with glass. It let the glass slide onto the former, and make the ends of the vase turn a bit. It was 5.5" wide at the base, and was like a gentle slope at the end of the former. Do you have any idea where to get something like this?
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i would dremmel it off. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
charlie

Post by charlie »

[quote="jerry keller"]I had a meltdown in the kiln, and have melted glass embedded on a stainless steel former. I tried to get it off by putting in a kiln to 900 degrees, then dropping it into water - a lot of the glass came off, but some remains. I do not want to sandblast it in my booth, as my grit is very fine and I don't want to contaminate it. I was wondering about other techniques to get it off, or also to spray a resist onto it, or kiln wash, and hope that the minor amount of glass still stuck to the surface will not be a problem, as i am just folding vases , not melting glass onto them.[/quote]

you can sand blast it. it won't contaminate the grit.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Not sure what kind of former.....but if it is one of ours i would just line it with your 1/8" paper and use it. The paper will seperate it from your next work.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com