Time to Cure Before Steam Out?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

cemoore

Time to Cure Before Steam Out?

Post by cemoore »

Hi All,

I'm having nagging problems with my molds breaking during steam-out at certain delicate points. For example, I have a wax model that is a candlestick, where there's a cylindrical 1 inch hole in the top to accept the candle. The plaster cylinder that forms the hole keeps breaking and its driving me crazy. I am hand-building using these layers: Layer 1/Face Coat - 40 PP#1/40 Silica/16 Fine Grog/4 Kaolin; Reinforcing with several small fiberglass strips across and into the hole with same formula as Layer 1; Layer 2/Jacket Coat: 40 PP#1/40 Silica/7 Fine Grog/7 Medium Grog/6 Coarse Grog, both layers using a 1 to 2 water to investment ratio. I'm also putting chopped fiber in small quantities in all the water. I'm waiting about 2 hours cure time before steam out, and even if I watch progress real carefully so as not to 'over steam', the 'hole' is breaking off the mold. I would like to hear from others as to recommended elapse time before steam out and if waiting longer (say 24 hours) might 'cure' my problem. In the meantime, that's what I'm trying next.

Thanks!

Cathy
Peter Angel

Re: Time to Cure Before Steam Out?

Post by Peter Angel »

I wrap my molds in plastic bags and then them dry for about 1 week.
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.
cemoore

Re: Time to Cure Before Steam Out?

Post by cemoore »

Thank you Peter.

I tried waiting 24 hours and still had the issue. For now on this design that has an open clean exit path for wax through sprue [vertical candlestick] I'm just going to melt it out, maybe a quick shot of steam afterwards if I see residue. Trying that now.