Mold Blisters?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

cemoore

Mold Blisters?

Post by cemoore »

Hi All,

I seem to get soft blisters/bubbles/distentions - not sure what to call them - in my mold face. They arise during steaming and I'm not sure why. In the last mold where this happened, I used two splash coats and a jacket coat, but I'm not necessarily seeing a pattern as I've seen it before with other layer configurations (e.g., one splash coat, one jacket coat) and different investment formulas, usually based on a 50/50 plaster/silica plus maybe some minor amount of EPK to help release and surface smoothness. If I push on one when mold still warm and moist from steam, it will flatten out but then leaves a rough edge or break on the mold face.

Could it be I'm creating a gap of some sort between layers trapping air that I"m not seeing when laying up the coats? If the gap is close enough to the the mold face, that is the 1st layer was fairly thin and fragile, maybe the steam is distorting it?

Thanks
Peter Angel

Re: Mold Blisters?

Post by Peter Angel »

they might be air bubbles in the mix. Tap the mix bucket down on a hard surface a few times to bring the bubbles to the surface.
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.