Using Glass Flux in Casting Process

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Terry Gallentine

Using Glass Flux in Casting Process

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I am casting some pieces that have pretty fine detail and small channels. After I have steamed and burned out all wax residue from the molds, I am considering doing a splash application in the molds of dilute low temp glass flux before I do the pot cast. The idea would be to enhance the flow of the glass into finer details and smaller channels. Does anyone out there have any experience with this?
Kevin Midgley

Re: Using Glass Flux in Casting Process

Post by Kevin Midgley »

It sounds like a great idea but I suspect the flux will act like a wetting agent and make the glass want to stick to the mold material. Of course that wouldn't matter if you were going to send it out to an acid polisher or were able to polish it yourself. The real answer is more heat or a more flowing softer glass Could you preform the detail (separate mold and firing) and then place the detail into the larger mold where the glass could all be fused together?
I don't think the Higuchi couple in Japan coat the molds with flux but they do use super fine powdered glass carefully hand packed into the molds. Is their studio back in operation after that earthquake? They did such amazing work. I remember well seeing in person a vase they'd made with a bee visiting a flower and spider webs on the outside of the glass.
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

Thanks Kevin. I assume that sticking might be a problem with the glass flux but I think that I will give it a try. I am using Spectrum Nuggets for the casting. If the flux doesn't work, I may try the same idea of a splash coat of powdered 96 COE frit. I kind of hope that the glass flux will (besides filling fine cavities) further the flow of the casting glass. If the coating causes sticking I will probably fine blast the pieces, coat them with flux and do a polish fire.
Dick

Post by Dick »

Also depends on the type of glass and how many vents you have. Gaffer flows better and at a lower temp. Some investments like R & R are tougher and hold more detail