trying to make a mold - WarmGlass.com

trying to make a mold

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Michael Stevens

trying to make a mold

Postby Michael Stevens » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:15 pm

I have this piece of driftwood id like to try and cast in glass. it has some undercuts, I was going to make a silicon mold, then cast in wax, then make plaster/ silica mold.

is there any suggestions or tips to accomplish this. I wasn't sure if I need to make 2 part mold or if softer silicon could just pull off.
mmexport1592395907671.jpg

Dick

Re: trying to make a mold

Postby Dick » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:38 pm

There are definitely ways to do it. I learned with a great teacher named Judy Hill at Pilchuck. It's a little complex especially trying to show in pictures. It involves multi coats of silicone and then making a line with a release and another coat after that. Then being able to cut through. Kind of like having a flap. You also have to consider where your pour will be. You could also consider multi part molds. Might be time for a mold class.

Michael Stevens

Postby Michael Stevens » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:24 pm

yeah I wish I could take classes. no one here teaches it, if there are online classes that are effective maybe I could. living in China realy sucks sometimes. but I'm really learning a lot through trial and error

Dick

Postby Dick » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:03 pm

didn't know you were in China. I know from working there a couple of years ago even getting basic tools could be challenging. I know there are some good videos at
Smooth-On, Inc. | Mold Making & Casting Materials | Rubbers ...www.smooth-on.com. Sometimes they are for more complex but maybe something will help. you can shoot me an email and if I think of anything else I will let you know.

dick
dick@dickditore.com

Michael Stevens

Postby Michael Stevens » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:46 pm

thanks. I'Ve had to make everything myself. when I was home in USA, so easy to get everything high quality. I'm doing good work but takes forever to learn everything.

Return to “Kiln Casting”