Mold Mix 6

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Goldfinger

Mold Mix 6

Post by Goldfinger »

Hi: Who on the board uses Mold Mix 6 for casting molds? I am thinking about making a mold for jewelry using this. As you know- this is an expensive material and the only way it would make any sense is if it withstood repeated firings. This won't be for slumping but for casting. Anyone have any opinions as to how many times you can reuse a mold like this before it falls apart?

Thanks

Steve
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

once.
Maybe if you made your piece w/ no undercuts, used a release like a light kilnwash swished inside, and fired absolutely as cold as you can you might get two. But I would have to see it to believe it. MM6 is used as a very thin shell. You know that, right? :wink:
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

jerry flanary wrote:once.
Maybe if you made your piece w/ no undercuts, used a release like a light kilnwash swished inside, and fired absolutely as cold as you can you might get two. But I would have to see it to believe it. MM6 is used as a very thin shell. You know that, right? :wink:
I've seen MM6 used in a thick mold. The best seperator to use with it is colloidal allumina. I imagine that whoever sells the MM6 might carry it. I have been advised by Zircar who makes MM6 that it can be less expensive from a glass wholesaler than directly from Zircar as the wholesaler might discount it and the factory only sells retail.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions