latex mold Q?s

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

rosanna gusler

latex mold Q?s

Post by rosanna gusler »

i got some latex mold stuff from michaels. after i mold say the top of a moon snail shell and then want to make a plaster cast of that, what do i use for a release in the mold if anything? i guess it would be something liquidy. the latex jar advises use of their brand but i know there must be something. teflon grease? dilute vaseline? pam? olive oil? murphys soap? rosanna
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

Try WD-40 I think it might work. PLus its inexpensive. Hope I helped ya
denizen

Post by denizen »

Don't use any petroleum products, they'll damage the latex.

I've cast latex in plaster a lot, and plaster in latex a little, and never used mold release at all. They don't want to stick together.
Lee
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Also food grade spray silicon. whatever you chose, experiment w/ a smaller one to be sure that a) it works b) it doesn't atttack the latex or leave marks. I think any of those things will work because plaster doesn't really want to grab latex. I believe the release is just insurance for those tricky spots or rough sections of latex that might grab.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Dani

Post by Dani »

It's a good idea to use a mold release if you have undercuts to consider.... we use fabric softener.... I think Downy brand...which brand makes a difference. As mentioned, don't use anything with a petroleum base.... I still remember that mold years ago where Michael used Vaseline. Oh, my..... out of shape would be putting it mildly. :wink:
watershed

Post by watershed »

Spray on food oil (pam ). Works like a charm, and will not leave brush marks like vaseline or others. I WOuld make a mother mold to hold the latex.

Greg