diamond angle grinders

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

elizglass

diamond angle grinders

Post by elizglass »

Hi,
I searched the archives for this, but the most recent post I could find was two years old. I need an angle grinder/polisher and am wondering if people are still thinking Felisatti and Alpha are best? Has anyone tried the Flex? (Only 4.5 lbs) Actually, which is best? I was checking pneumatic too, because my hands would be happier w/ less weight... but I only have a single phase 5 hp compressor, and have received differing opinions on whether that is sufficient.
Any advice, tips, etc very appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Liz
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Liz,
Last week there were quite a few posts about angle grinders.... they were on the mail category... do a search on grinders and look at the most recents ones. They are on the angle grinders.

Stuart
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

I have a Flex and like it. Mine is heavy though since it is variable speed.

You can get a heavy duty flexible shaft with an angle head and attach it to a regular old electric motor mounted on a bench, if you don't have to cover huge areas and really want a light weight tool. The Cadillac of flex shaft tools is Suhner if you have lots of money. You can hang a Suhner overhead on a rail and move it around pretty easily.

ch
watershed

Post by watershed »

For air tools, the question is not the HP, it is the CFMs, cubic feet per minute. That tells you how many, and what tools you can use off of it. Also tools should give a figure for how many CFMs they require.

Greg
elizglass

Post by elizglass »

Thanks for the replies! Charlie: I have a Fordham, but haven't seen attachments I could use that are larger than one inch. I really need about a 4" surface I think- are there attachments that would fit the collet for the Fordham in that size? I also have a flexible shaft that attches to a glass grinder ( like wizard) and a dremel- but all these have small collets.

Here's another question- What's the difference to the glass in using a circular grinder ( like these angle grinder's) or a belt grinder- I have used a belt grinder dry (w/ WD40) for desperation! Is there a major diff as far as the roatation marks to get to final polish??
Thanks!
Liz
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Fordhams are toys next to Suhners. Richard Whiteley started pushing them several years ago. He likes the Rotafera.

http://www.suhnerusa.com/apt/flex/index.html

The rotary marks don't make any difference unless you are not going all the way to a polish.

ch
shegan

Re:angle grinder

Post by shegan »

I'm doing a big project right now and just did some business with Granite City Tools (on the web) Makita vairable speed, water feed, gfi protected 4" pad. 50,100,200,400,800,1500, cerium pad and cerium for about 420$. Removes material very well, makitas are bullet proof, and the company was good to deal with. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Scott
watershed

Post by watershed »

Hopefully they are in Granite city Ill, perhaps you made the city's day. They are an eastern suburb of St lou, and if there is anyone making money, it's a Good Thing.

Greg
shegan

Post by shegan »

sorry, Minneosta.
elizglass

Post by elizglass »

Just thought I'd follow up on this- I ended up buying the Flex- Granite City recommended it over the Alpha, and the Felisatti. (Plus the weight was a concern for me.) I checked Suhner, but quite pricey for my needs.
I've given the flex a test run, but don't like the pads I got from GC, waiting impatiently for some others!
Thanks for the input everyone!
Liz