What kind of compressor is best for sand blasting glass?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jasperspry

What kind of compressor is best for sand blasting glass?

Post by jasperspry »

Hi,

What is the best size compressor for sandblasting glass, and what psi should I blast at for light surface removal and also for carving? Does anyone reccommend a good brand?

I have a new Skat Blast sandblaster that someone sold me very quite cheaply, but no compressor.

Also, is it reasonable to expect that I can use the compressor for much lighter duty work such as air brushing ceramic oxides and oil paints onto ceramic sculpture with a Pasch system? Or, should I plan to get a smaller non-continuous compressor for that?

thanks.
Nickie Jordan

Post by Nickie Jordan »

This question is similar to; "I should have bought a bigger kiln", "I should have built a bigger shop". The usual dilema...
Go shopping and check the cfm ratings. The more cfm, the more air 'power'.
It really depends on what you'll be doing a lot of. Did you buy a Skat pressure blaster, or cabinet system ? The pressure pots need more cfm than the siphon systems. I burned up the first little compressor I started with, about the time I learned how to deep carve in stages. Using 90 lbs of pressure can make a little 8-gal tank on- two- wheels compressor run and run. Surface-etching can be accomplished at 30-40 lbs, but, if you do lots of it, same problems.
I have a big compressor, and a little in-line air regulator. I've never airbrushed (yet), but can regulate the airflow low enough. The airbrushes I've seen use smaller hoses, but my compressor has 3 'spigots' with 3 different size air hoses attached . I inter-change the regulator.
I talk in layman's terms here because I know well what works for me. If you want more technical info, ask Tony.
Good luck in your endeavors - N.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Like Nicki said, get the biggest one you can manage relative to cost and size. The rule of thumb is that the compressor shouldn't run more then half the time you are working. A small compressor does the job, but if you wait around, the job will take a long time to complete or you burn out the compressor.

The Cadillac is a 2 stage compressor with a large tank. These are expensive, good though. The next choice down is a single stage 6 HP compressor with a 60 or 80 gallon tank. These can be bought at Sam's Club or other discount warehouses for under $400. From that point down, smaller is smaller.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jasperspry

Post by jasperspry »

Thanks Bert,

Yes, this is what I'd like to know. How much horse power, and how large a tank is ideal, and any reccommendations for brands.

I've looked at a couple that are well over $400.00, but why buy one that is too big? Although I plan to be in the studio for the rest of my life, I do not plan to go into production sand blasting!

If anyone else has their perfect profile for psi range, horsepower, tank size, please let us know.

Thanks!
Jasper Spry
watershed

Post by watershed »

Jasper, please check the CFMs. In effiecient moters vs efecient ones etc. What you need to know FIRST is the Cubic Feet per Minute that the puppy will put out. And how much you need to run your blaster, and maybe some air tools etc.

After you know CFM required, then you can balance $$ versus efieciney (my third spelling of that word).

Greg