kiln temperatures for pate de verre

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

becca43212

kiln temperatures for pate de verre

Post by becca43212 »

okay maybe i needed to be a bit more specific: the knowledge that i am lacking in as far as pate de verre goes is the firing temperatures. how long does the temperature need to climb? what is the fusing temperature of bullseye glass? how long does it need to cool off? i tried to contact a bullseye representative on this matter and none were available. i'm looking for someone with previous experience in the firing. thanks for any help! it is desperately needed!
Bert Weiss

Re: kiln temperatures for pate de verre

Post by Bert Weiss »

becca43212 wrote:okay maybe i needed to be a bit more specific: the knowledge that i am lacking in as far as pate de verre goes is the firing temperatures. how long does the temperature need to climb? what is the fusing temperature of bullseye glass? how long does it need to cool off? i tried to contact a bullseye representative on this matter and none were available. i'm looking for someone with previous experience in the firing. thanks for any help! it is desperately needed!
becca

There is no simple answer. It depends on many things like the type of mold you are using and the style of layup. Whether or not you want a tack fuse or a glassy fuse. Are you doing a hollow form or a solid form. Does the mold have a plug to fill up the center space? Is your mold prefired or is it green?

There are several books out that offer clues to these variables.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
quill

Post by quill »

There is a lot of good info available on fusing temps, annealling times etc available on the Bullseye site's get smart section- http://www.bullseyeconnection.com/getsmart/