kiln casting

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

john E

kiln casting

Post by john E »

I want to get into kiln casting. In a book on the subject, the product Shellspen Ceramic Slurry, from Johnson Atelier Scuplture Supply, is recommended. I can't get any response from them, ie, e-mails returned, 800 number says it's disconnected. I also can't get anywhere with trying to contact Ransom and Randolph, the other supplier mentioned in the book as a source of material for ceramic shell molds. Anyone know where I can get this product or a comparable one?
The book I found is "Glass An Artist's Medium by kohler. Any other suggestions?
I would welcome any help I can get. I've been working in ceramics and Stained glass as a serious artist (well, not tooooo serious) for over thirty years. Haven't found anyone in my area that's into glass casting and I'd love to connect with people who are.
johnevans1111@hotmail.com
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

aloha john, welcome to the Board. check out GLASS CASTING AND MOLD MAKING by Boyce Lundstrom. kitty.
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

Kitty wrote:aloha john, welcome to the Board. check out GLASS CASTING AND MOLD MAKING by Boyce Lundstrom. kitty.
and 'Pate de Verre and Kiln Casting of Glass' by Dan Fenton ....a couple of articles (one by David Rreekie) on the subject can be found at the web site for Camberra school of glass............ http://www.anu.edu.au/ITA/CSA/Glass/Glass.Canberra/.

Colin in the other Albany
Carol Craiglow

Post by Carol Craiglow »

Hi again John...

Most casters I know use a 50/50 mix by volume of #1 Pottery Plaster and 200 mesh silica flour. By weight is slightly better, but I just put bigger scoops of silica and slightly smaller scoops of plaster to approximate by weight. You can get both ingredients at your local ceramics supplier if you live in a big enough town.

I know some folks who use R&R, but it's pretty pricey and IMHO doesn't warrant the extra expense. If you're starting out, plaster and silica will work just fine. I've done 40 lb castings in it, with fiberglass shorts added to strengthen the outer shell of the mold.

Carol
Bob L Workshop - Take Two
June 10-11-12
Santa Fe NM
http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10420
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

There are also tons of information in the old archive. Click the button at the top of the page and search by keyword or author.

ch
Delores Taylor

Post by Delores Taylor »

Carol Craiglow wrote:Hi again John...

Most casters I know use a 50/50 mix by volume of #1 Pottery Plaster and 200 mesh silica flour. By weight is slightly better, but I just put bigger scoops of silica and slightly smaller scoops of plaster to approximate by weight. You can get both ingredients at your local ceramics supplier if you live in a big enough town.

I know some folks who use R&R, but it's pretty pricey and IMHO doesn't warrant the extra expense. If you're starting out, plaster and silica will work just fine. I've done 40 lb castings in it, with fiberglass shorts added to strengthen the outer shell of the mold.

Carol
I agree Carol if you want some EPK or China Clay to beef up your mold why pay the extra bucks just buy that from the pottery store and add small amounts. Also vermiculite/fiberglass will do the same thing by adding strength to the mold.
Jerry

A Burning Question

Post by Jerry »

As an aside, for all you casting fiends, opps, friends, I've been designing a jewelry box with a nautical theme. I know some things about rope work after 20 years in the Navy, so it was just a matter of time before I took all the advice Delores has given me and cast a knot or two. The trick is to get it in the plaster and out so that what's left looks like a knot.

After several false starts it occurred to me; ROPE BURNS! So I tied up a flat turk's head with a five pointed star on top, cast it, burned the rope out like you would wax and cast it.

The short story is IT'S GREAT! There was a bit of residue, like soot but not nasty at all, and my air brush blew it right out. So, if you have a "knotty burning question," there's the answer.

Jerry
Delores Taylor

Re: A Burning Question

Post by Delores Taylor »

Jerry wrote:As an aside, for all you casting fiends, opps, friends, I've been designing a jewelry box with a nautical theme. I know some things about rope work after 20 years in the Navy, so it was just a matter of time before I took all the advice Delores has given me and cast a knot or two. The trick is to get it in the plaster and out so that what's left looks like a knot.

After several false starts it occurred to me; ROPE BURNS! So I tied up a flat turk's head with a five pointed star on top, cast it, burned the rope out like you would wax and cast it.

The short story is IT'S GREAT! There was a bit of residue, like soot but not nasty at all, and my air brush blew it right out. So, if you have a "knotty burning question," there's the answer.

You'll have to send a photo, I'll bet it's great

Jerry