Need to find silicon carbide flat lap pads

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Steph Mader

Need to find silicon carbide flat lap pads

Post by Steph Mader »

I have a chance to purchase some polishing and grinding pads from another glass artist. I need to find silicon carbide flat lap pads, so I can figure out what a fair price would be for them. Any ideas? I can find diamond disks, but not the others.

Thanks
Steph
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Need to find silicon carbide flat lap pads

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Steph Mader wrote:I have a chance to purchase some polishing and grinding pads from another glass artist. I need to find silicon carbide flat lap pads, so I can figure out what a fair price would be for them. Any ideas? I can find diamond disks, but not the others.

Thanks
Steph
I cant realy C any advantage of silicon carbide flat lap pads

U mean on a flat bed type thing

They wont last long loose grit is probably better
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

I can't tell you about SiC pads but a diamond belt that costs $500 is only $9 in SiC.

Jack
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

Thanks, that price reference gives me some idea at least. I had a flat lap grinder made, and I bought an 80 grit diamond pad. For as little as I grind, I thought I could try these for a while, and there is a cork & prepolish pad as well that I can use. I hate to offer a price when I have no idea at all what they are worth. What industry would use these, anyway? I need to find a price reference somewhere.
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

You might check with a rock shop. I've just never heard of a SiC pad if it's metal like the diamond ones. Not cost effective. I've worked with laps for many years as a machinist but the abrasives, whatever they were, were fed onto a cast iron plate. This thing you are talking about sounds like a SiC sanding disc to me. Maybe you could ask the owner where he got it. I'm relativly new to machining glass but I'm not impressed with SiC as compared to diamond. I feel the extra cost is worth it. You might go over to the kiln forming board and ask the same question as there are quite a few with much experience lapping glass.

Jack
sslickk

Post by sslickk »

HI,
I've been a lapidary longer than a glass worker..

Silicon Carbide is a fine choice for glass...
I use both Diamond and SC.. Diamond for all the rock work I do.
The expense is not necessary for occasional glass grinding.

Diamond, requires more water, but is cleaner. SC grinding tends to need a little more clean up.

SC will be a fraction of the cost, another plus. Depending on the size of the lap, 10' 12' ? any where from $1.50 to $5.00. Diamond, hundreds.

Check out places like, Rio Grande, Indian Jewelers Supply, and go to the Lapidary Journal web site for a list of suppliers.

JC
"Without art we are merely monkeys with car keys" Joe Grant
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

thanks JC,

The ones I'm looking at are 24". I'll check around and see if anyone has them that big. Do you have the link for the lapidary board?

Steph
sslickk

Post by sslickk »

HI,
I did a little checking and I still haven't found anyone with 24" discs.. most of the units being produced now are free abrasive types..

You can find the Lapidary Journal at;
http://www.lapidaryjournal.com

I didn't see anyone in the resource center w/ them that big either.

I'll do some looking today and see what I can find.

Warmly,
JC
sslickk

Post by sslickk »

http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatProductPa ... &Keyword=Y

Haven't found any SC, this will give you an idea of the price and would work on glass.

JC
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

Thanks you guys for looking around for me. I can't find anything similar either. These have a magnetic backing & no hole. I have no idea what they are worth. But thanks anyway for all your help!
Steph