"Mixing with the Best" - great reference material!

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jane Lindell

"Mixing with the Best" - great reference material!

Post by Jane Lindell »

I just received in the mail yesterday the casting information CD that has been mentioned in a couple of posts recently. I highly recommend it.

The CD is called, "Mixing with the Best - Investigation and Comparison of Contemporary Working Methods and Mould Making Materials For Use in the Kiln Forming of Glass" from the Royal College of Art by Angela Thwaites. The CD is well organized, very detailed, great photographs of work and methods, and includes a very complete bibliography. The CD format can hold so much information and cross references between sections are excellent - very readable.

It is a survey of current practices around the world (UK, Czech, US, Australia). Over 60 working artists answered detailed questionaires about their methods and all the recipes were then reproduced at the school's studio and results empirically measured. The authors also visited 20 studios throughout Europe and have site reports, interviews and lots of photographs on each one.

Julia at Whitehouse Books has CD available. Use the link above or email her, as I did, at: julia@whitehouse-books.com. She always responds very quickly.

I am headed to the basement to try out some new recipes!

Happy casting,

Jane
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: "Mixing with the Best" - great reference mater

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Jane Lindell wrote:I just received in the mail yesterday the casting information CD that has been mentioned in a couple of posts recently. I highly recommend it.

The CD is called, "Mixing with the Best - Investigation and Comparison of Contemporary Working Methods and Mould Making Materials For Use in the Kiln Forming of Glass" from the Royal College of Art by Angela Thwaites. The CD is well organized, very detailed, great photographs of work and methods, and includes a very complete bibliography. The CD format can hold so much information and cross references between sections are excellent - very readable.

It is a survey of current practices around the world (UK, Czech, US, Australia). Over 60 working artists answered detailed questionaires about their methods and all the recipes were then reproduced at the school's studio and results empirically measured. The authors also visited 20 studios throughout Europe and have site reports, interviews and lots of photographs on each one.

Julia at Whitehouse Books has CD available. Use the link above or email her, as I did, at: julia@whitehouse-books.com. She always responds very quickly.

I am headed to the basement to try out some new recipes!

Happy casting,

Jane
Well no one came 2 C me

Mabe as I Cheet my methods R 2 simple
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

quote="Brian and Jenny

Well no one came 2 C me

Ditto

And who said you cheet???????????was it he who as his own forum ????????????

Colin in the other Albany.

X marks the spot that should be my Logo...
Delores Taylor

Post by Delores Taylor »

Colin & Helen wrote:quote="Brian and Jenny

Well no one came 2 C me

Ditto

And who said you cheet???????????was it he who as his own forum ????????????

Colin in the other Albany.

X marks the spot that should be my Logo...

If it was too simple there wouldn't have been a reason to give the students grants. The CD is good, the project was a good one actually, and I'm glad they took it on. Wish there was an American equal with products manufacturered here for a comparative study. Think that some were confused by the questionairre due to the way some participants answered but that could have been a translation problem.

As with all research there was a conclusion that more research would be needed so they might visit during the doctorate portion, you never know.