Interesting side effect

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

watershed

Interesting side effect

Post by watershed »

Something I found in my last casting run. The actual flower pots took longer to melt than the Mixing bowl pressed into use. Dohh. Probably has something to do with heat transfer... Dohh.

But it was not something that I had thought of before. I DID avoid having the bowl contact the elemnets. Thought that might be BAD.

Greg
Carol Craiglow

Post by Carol Craiglow »

Just to clarify...I'm assuming you meant the *glass* in the flower pots took longer to melt than the glass in a stainless steel bowl?? 8)

Carol
Bob L Workshop - Take Two
June 10-11-12
Santa Fe NM
http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10420
watershed

Post by watershed »

Yes Carol. The Glass in the flower pots took longer then the Glass in the bowl. :wink:

Greg
Carol Craiglow

Post by Carol Craiglow »

:P

BTW...did you get those tubular sculptures cast successfully? Any pics?
Bob L Workshop - Take Two
June 10-11-12
Santa Fe NM
http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10420
watershed

Post by watershed »

I'm still casting the capitols and Bases. But I've got some middle sections cleaned up. I don't have a web site to link, but I'll email you some. That and I got some pics of the double wall pieces.

Greg
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

Greg

I think you are right on that one .. I have found my home made crucibles ( thick and heavy) always take longer than the commercial flower pots to empty ...My home made crucibles are still my first choice as they can be custom made and last a lot longer than those flimsy flower pots... Colin
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Interesting side effect

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

watershed wrote:Something I found in my last casting run. The actual flower pots took longer to melt than the Mixing bowl pressed into use. Dohh. Probably has something to do with heat transfer... Dohh.

But it was not something that I had thought of before. I DID avoid having the bowl contact the elemnets. Thought that might be BAD.

Greg
The steel has a lot less thermal mass than a flower pot

Also the steel will transmit heat better

And the stainless is an open mould which would heat faster
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Colin,

How do you make your crucibles? Did I miss that somewhere?

Jack
watershed

Post by watershed »

Currently, as in NOW. The bowl is still beating the "Bowl" shaped flower pot. Plus the Stainless doesn't crack...

Still have 6-10 hrs of filling to go.

Greg
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

I'm afraid you may find that the stainless has deteriorated and spalled off pieces of black and green junk into your glass. Most stainless can't really take these temperatures. Inconel can, but I don't know of any bowls made of inconel. It is too expensive, and too heat resistant to be practical for cookware.