adding design elements to a pate de verre (?) bowl.

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Ann Demko

adding design elements to a pate de verre (?) bowl.

Post by Ann Demko »

I saw a beautiful DAUM bowl I surmised had been cast. It had flower design elements around the top 1/3 and I was wondering if you could cast the design elements first, then attach them to your wax up of your vessel, invest, rid mold of wax then cast the vessel after packing with frit or pot melting glass to fill. Do you think the design elements would be intact? You opinions would be appreciated. I didn't think I could tack fuse the designs without messing up the bowl and thought this way might work.
Delores Taylor

Re: adding design elements to a pate de verre (?) bowl.

Post by Delores Taylor »

Ann Demko wrote:I saw a beautiful DAUM bowl I surmised had been cast. It had flower design elements around the top 1/3 and I was wondering if you could cast the design elements first, then attach them to your wax up of your vessel, invest, rid mold of wax then cast the vessel after packing with frit or pot melting glass to fill. Do you think the design elements would be intact? You opinions would be appreciated. I didn't think I could tack fuse the designs without messing up the bowl and thought this way might work.
The Daum work does not appear to me to be a re-investment, rather a design element around the original bowl. Less risky method to invest your decoration and bowl together than do a re-investment of seperate cast elements. Far smarter to cast your bits into wax, then build your pieces into the artwork you want, invest in a multi-part mold and fire.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi anne, in 'techniques of kiln formed glass' 1998 ed. by cummings , pages 93 - 98 there is a nicely illustrated section on this. cummings uses this technique to add pre cast shells and eyes and cabs to his waxes before investing. he makes sculpture. rosanna
Ann Demko

thank you

Post by Ann Demko »

Thank you for the input. I am going to try to do a small vessel After I get ahold of The Techniques of Kiln Fired Glass. :D
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Be sure and let us know how your experiment goes. I thought of trying the same thing myself on several occasions. Just haven't gotton around to it yet. I don't know which Daum bowl you saw but if it was colored design on a clear bowl then the flowers are probably glued on. They do a lot of work like that.

ellen
http://www.emstudioglass.com