Casting question

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Delores Taylor

Casting question

Post by Delores Taylor »

Does anyone have any experience with multiple investment firings?

How many times can you reinvest and then reheat red before it color strikes black/grey? If you avoid the high temperatures will it prevent it from striking? Is the selinium colors the only thing that strikes on reheat?

watershed

Post by watershed »

I can't tell you about Striking. But I can tell you about re-investing.

Once. Or remake the original.

All Anectdotal, but if I re-cast a piece more than once, the mold fails and the glass chews up the elements.

Greg
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Casting question

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Delores wrote:Does anyone have any experience with multiple investment firings?

How many times can you reinvest and then reheat red before it color strikes black/grey? If you avoid the high temperatures will it prevent it from striking? Is the selinium colors the only thing that strikes on reheat?

There was a lot of chat on old old board on this

Also a search on craftweb on striking might B enlighening

But do remember most of the chat there is hot work

Delores Taylor

Post by Delores Taylor »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:

Thanks, I give both another once over
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hi Delores

In hot glass striking usually occurs as a matter of how hot you get the glass as opposed to the amount of reheating. I'm sure it depends on what kind of glass you are using though - are you using Gaffer casting glass?

Barb
Delores Taylor

Post by Delores Taylor »

Barb wrote:Hi Delores

In hot glass striking usually occurs as a matter of how hot you get the glass as opposed to the amount of reheating. I'm sure it depends on what kind of glass you are using though - are you using Gaffer casting glass?

Barb
No I'm using Bullseye but thought the info I had on Gaffers applied to the color red in general. In the archives the temperature was the issue but haven't seen anything on the range that is the break point for color striking, or if it's a time issue in the higher ranges as some post in the archives suggest.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hmmm well I don't know whether BE will strike and if it does, at what temp. The only striking reds I've dealt with are Kugler and gaffer hot glass. Maybe Lani can help you with this?

Barb
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Hi Delores,

I've had the catherdral strike to opal (red). I'm using BE. Once it has striken it doesn't really continue to shift, but my work only goes through one high fire. That is the only color I use that does this.

Last Oct. @ SOFA I had a conversation with Miriam DiFiore about red frit. Keep in mind she is using fusing temps. and firing many many times. She told me that the red would continue to strike with each additional firing. I believe she is using BE.

Good luck,
Amy
Delores Taylor

Post by Delores Taylor »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:Hi Delores,

I've had the catherdral strike to opal (red). I'm using BE. Once it has striken it doesn't really continue to shift, but my work only goes through one high fire. That is the only color I use that does this.

Last Oct. @ SOFA I had a conversation with Miriam DiFiore about red frit. Keep in mind she is using fusing temps. and firing many many times. She told me that the red would continue to strike with each additional firing. I believe she is using BE.

Good luck,
Amy
I've done my second firing without problems but I'm not going into the full fuse range and so far so good but it might be two steps forward and three back, who knows but thanks for the feedback. Desided I'd do the Brock thing and go lower longer. But the above is most helpful, so thanks for your feedback.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Delores wrote:
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:

Thanks, I give both another once over
Whats happening is something like this

U got metal in solution or metal as real metal

When U strike it swaps over

Thee is other weird stuff as well all a bit complex

In hot glass U can re heat a bit n get a change only in one part say a rim

All very intersting

Potters can spend there lives with copper n reduction 2 get amasing reds

Which I think is this metal swopping thing